Hexadecimal and HDD - What happens if I change the hex #s?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alphabeta525

Just looking for information on what could happen if I changed hex numbers on any sort of data storage device. Example- hdd, thumb drive, memory card.

Depends on where on the disk you did the modification. If the sector belonged to the boot partition, then the PC wouldn't boot. If the sector belonged to a data file, then it may not open. If the file belongs to a critical Windows file, then Windows wouldn't run right.

Alphabeta525

Depends on where on the disk you did the modification. If the sector belonged to the boot partition, then the PC wouldn't boot. If the sector belonged to a data file, then it may not open. If the file belongs to a critical Windows file, then Windows wouldn't run right.

If I were to do this on a memory card with a bunch of text files would it be erasing them or just really messing up its data? I'm trying to learn as much as I can with programming and how things inside of computers work. Thank you for relpying :)

This'll date me, but back when I had only dos 5, I opened a file (in the os) with a hex editor, changed 'one' charactor, re-booted. That killed it! Well, I re-installed dos, - the 5¼" floppy disks. Never tried anything like that again.
I prolly installed dos 100 times, 'cause of experimenting.
(286 pc 4 MEGS ram, 120 MEG hdd!)

managed

Allan
You can use this free program to change HEX numbers, it has a Read Only mode that doesn't actually change anything but lets you see what the changes would look like :-

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Clicking on Tools will give options to look at Drives or Ram in Read Only mode.

Please don't actually change anything you are unsure about !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.