1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hey all - back with a problem =)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itsmelen, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsmelen

itsmelen Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Back in December you all helped me through a disastrous first build. Everything since then has been going great until tonight, and I wanted to get some opinions from people whom I trust.

As I said, the build has been great, but tonight I went to plug a USB cable into the front port of my tower, and the computer shut down. After I turned it back on, the CD Bay was making a clicking noise and the PC is not talking to the monitor at all - I am getting no feed. It's definitely the CD Bay and not the hard drive. I can turn the computer on and all fans start going, but the CD Bay clicks and I don't get anything on the screen. If I remove the CD Bay, there are no clicks but I still do not get anything on the screen.

I am thinking the easiest solution would be to replace the CD Bay, but I wanted to be sure this doesn't smell like a bigger problem. Is it normal in a situation where the CD Drive does bad that the PC won't talk to the monitor? Is it feasible that plugging in a USB cable (USB cable plugs in fine to my laptop btw, no problems at all) would have set off a reaction like this?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

First, test your system with another monitor. If the problem still exists with a known good monitor proceed with the diagnostics below.

If I recall correctly you used an Intel DG965WH board with a C2D processor. If this is
    correct start with the basic troubleshooting sequence below;

Unplug the power supply.

Unplug EVERYTHING from the board except the main power connector, the auxiliary +12V CPU connector and the CPU fan connector connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

Remove ALL add in PCI/PCI-e cards.

Leave only 1 stick of memory installed in Channel A, DIMM 0.

Connect the monitor to the onboard video connector.

DO NOT connect ANYTHING else.

Power on the power supply.

Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard header (Pins 6 and 8).

At this point the machine should POST. If the machine does not POST, remove the memory you have installed and try another stick of memory in Channel A, DIMM 0.

If the machine still does not POST then there is a problem with the PSU, motherboard, memory or CPU.

If the machine still does not post after following the above procedure, try this;

Processor failures are rare, however if you follow the above instructions and the machine
    does not POST then the first thing I would do is to re-seat the processor in the following
    manner;

Unplug the power supply.

With a flat bladed screwdriver turn the processor cooler locking pins fully COUNTERCLOCKWISE until they are loose. DO NOT REMOVE THE COOLER after the locking pins are loose.

"Gently" turn the cooler left and right a couple of times WITHOUT LIFTING UP ON THE COOLER, then make sure the locking pins are aligned with the holes in the motherboard.

After making sure the locking pins are aligned with the holes in the board push down "HARD" on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, then follow the same procedure from the other 2 pins.

After the pins are fully down, take the flat bladed screwdriver and "gently" turn the pins
    CLOCKWISE to make sure they are fully locked.

Plug in the power supply.

Again momentarily short the power switch connector on the
    motherboard header (pins 6 and 8).

If the machine still refuses to POST then there is a problem with the PSU, motherboard,
    memory or CPU.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice