1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hey, building a computer. Need help badly.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ledzeppelinftw, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ledzeppelinftw

ledzeppelinftw Thread Starter

Need alot of help with this and I have many questions. First of all, my motherboard doesn't seem to fit my case exactly, such as that my case has a spot for an IEEE 1394 port as well as two usb and 2 audio ports on the front, my mother board has all of those, but not on the front..they are on the rear panel, will that still work upfront..or..what?

Also, can micro ATX and ATX mix? I have an ATX power supply 24 pin, my mother board is micro ATX and has 24 pin. Is this okay?

I can email my entire cart if anyone cares enough.

Thanks in advance, could really use the help.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes power supply is fine to motherboard....your motherboard has jumpers for front usb, see your manual or download manual online for your motherboard. It may or may not have 1394 jumpers not all boards do. look for cables coming from front of case for usb and 1394 as they will plug into jumpers on motherboards.

3. ledzeppelinftw

Thank you, though if my motherboard does infact not have the required cables, would it be possible to purchase them? Or must them have been made onto the motherboard.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm an online gamer with little knowledge other then that regarding video cards.

4. GripS

GripS

Post or send me your system specs please.

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

The case would have the cable--i.e., if you're case has front connectors for USB and I1394, then there are cables coming from them--they may be stuck back behind something and you can't see them, but I've never seen a case with front connections that didn't have wirse to hook to the mobo headers. If the mobo does not have a header, you can buy a PCI card with internal and external connections, which is nice because it gives you more.

6. ledzeppelinftw

Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-965GM-S2 LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor - Intel Pentium D 945 Presler 3.4GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Video card - BIOSTAR V7602GS51 GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Power supply - HIPRO TOP-500P5 ATX V2.01 500W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL, FCC

RAM - Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory

Case - APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

I just thought of something--are you saying the case has just a whole for front connections but not the connections? I've never seen a case like that--they always have the front connections or they have nothing and if you want front, you just buy a controller that fits into your floppy spot or a 5 1/2 inch slot that has USB and firewire connections and often has other stuff like fan controllers like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815104221

Or this is nice because it has a card reader (for multi-media camera type cards) and USB, Firewire and front audio ports all combined:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813998506

8. ledzeppelinftw

I believe it already has them in it.

I haven't ordered the case yet, I have a cart at newegg.com waiting to be bought.

I'm attempting to get a $1k computer that can at least run WoW at max settings.

I don't know much about computers, other then what comes hand-in-hand with being a PC gamer.

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

I just looked at your case and it does have front ports, so the wires for them are in the case somwhere.

The Mobo has two Firewire and four USB headers so you can definitely hook them up.

10. ledzeppelinftw

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

Here are the wires that you should be looking for as per the picture from NewEgg (with the arrows)--at least that looks to me to be the USB and Firwire headers:

Attached Files:

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

I edited my post because at first I didn't see them, then I did--YOU DO HAVE FRONT FIREWIRE AND USB PORTS--so you don't need that controller I linked to although it IS STILL NICE TO HAVE THE MEDIA CARD READER. And you do have four USB and two Firewire headers on that motherboard, so it would definitely be nice to have the extra connections in the front.

Attached Files:

13. ledzeppelinftw

Amazing, so this means everything should work perfectly.

Thank you so much

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

And here is where the wires connect on your Mobo--the red are the USB and the black arrows show the firewire--DON'T CONNECT THE WRONG ONES--IT CAN DAMAGE THE CONNECTIONS.

Attached Files:

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Yes--that's a nice mobo--and definitely consider the card reader--I have one in my desktop and its great because instead of fiddling with hooking up the camera by USB, you can just pull out the card and stick it in the reader--and it works with the four different kinds of cards. And, it has the extra USB and firewire ports that you have headers for anyway, so its a bonus.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice