1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hey im new new and my laptop just broke i need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crave, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crave

crave Thread Starter

my laptop warranty just exp and anything on there that's broke i have to pay to fix and really don't know whats wrong with it cuz they charge like $80 to even diagnos the problem at best buy b4 they even tell u whats the problem? and then how ever much it is to fix after that! :confused: :(
    and i don't have much money as i'm not currently working i staying helping my mom cuz my dad & grand dad just passed away and this PC i used mostly for work with our litta family biz that i started but now i cant do it cuz of this problem! :(

i have a Compaq presario c700 notebook with an Intel Pentium dual core inside and windows vista premium operating system! with sata 5400 80G hard drive!

and the error message im getting say
    ( pex-e61 Media test failure, check cable )

i don't have a recovery disk for this newer laptop only the old laptop and i did make a disk when i first got it and this was suppose to have a window partition feature to restore the PC
    in case of stuff like this! but that screen is not showing when i press f11 or any of the other buttons,
    and it says install the CD so i tried the CD i made but that doesn't work ether I'll give u guys more details if needed? ..thanks in advance
    for any help! :)

2. hrlow2

hrlow2

3. crave

crave Thread Starter

thanks but i already read some of those articles and it did nothing to help only give me tons of more options that made it even more confusing as to what the problem is? so that's why i signed up here to get real help from real people that can explain to me what the problem is not just read through million of old articles that may apply to any number of issues?

4. crave

crave Thread Starter

oh another thing if lets say its the hard drive? where can i get the best deal for one for the cheapest price?

and whats the steps after replacing it if that's even whats wrong with my PC? cuz i don't have the restore disk only the one i made but it says its not compatible?? and a guy in best buy said that i might have to buy the whole vista premium operating system after i install the new hard drive!

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

Are you able to boot up at all on it? If so, go to the BIOS and check your boot order.
    Open the case and check the connections on your hard drive.Remove completely then reinsert to ensure a good contact on the data cable.

6. crave

crave Thread Starter

yes thanks litta buddy! i tried that several times and it didn't work and it was making a funny noise around the hard drive area but it stopped that! so maybe
    i can try something else with u guys walking me through the steps? i don't know if there is any software i can download online for this? and since i dont have the restore disk what do u guys think have u heard of this b4? its called
    the Ultimate Boot CD over here> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

i tried to download this on on another PC
    but they confuse u again and dont walk u thrugh the steps on how to use it!
    and they give like a 1000 different links to download it so I'm not even sure if i downloaded the right compatible one?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You do not have to buy Windows again, that guy is an idiot. You can go to www.hp.com
    and go to support, downloads and for your model you will see restore disks for about $20 including freight.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2

If your hard drive was making some unusual noises, you better see about copying it. Sounds like it's about to take a dump on you.

9. crave

crave Thread Starter

thanks buddy! and yeah i figured that but a few folks told me this that once i removed the hard drive and put it back in it wipes away windows vista operating system and that the restore CD would not work i would need to rebuy vista!
    but they were all folks that sold that software so go figure its like a monopoly this PC industry if u ask me! (n) :mad:

10. crave

crave Thread Starter

well it might have already did?
    That's what i been trying to say! Lol
    cuz i cant boot up on the windows partition, only the bios screen and stuff!

and what do u mean by copy my hard drive?
    How would i do that if it cant boot up?
    or did u mean b4 the fact?

11. hrlow2

hrlow2

If it already has, may be too late.
    If it can still boot, you can clone onto another hard drive to replace it. Use a USB cable to connect the replacement and use something like xxClone to copy.

12. crave

crave Thread Starter

whats that again?...lol i heard something like this b4 but what will this do? and where would i copy the clone hard drive too? do u mean if i buy a new hard then copy it to that using that clone program?

13. crave

crave Thread Starter

thanks for your guys help! i really appreciate it :) and if u can refer my topic or these PC issues to any experts u guys know that be great!

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have all you need here. You need a new hard drive and the restore disks from pc maker is all.

15. crave

crave Thread Starter

well thanks! :) but how do u know that for sure? lol without looking at it? cuz severeal folks all said diffirent things and my point of coming here is seeing if thats what wrong with my PC to even begin with?
    and try alternitives ways of solving this without it digging a big hole in me empty pockets! ..lol so i like to hear from a few experts b4 and try what they say first b4 i buy anything!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice