1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hey Sarge and other miltary personel

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by bassetman, Sep 22, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Someone told me many GIs in Iraq are using AK-47's due to a shortage of M16s. Is this true in your experiences?

2. PaveFE

PaveFE

No, that is absurd and completely false. But they are using them for other reasons.

3. deuce

deuce

There is absolutely no reason for that to be true. I could give you reasons, but Pave has already replied.

4. bassetman

I figured there were other reasons, I just wanted expert feedback! ;)

5. hewee

hewee

Could tell ya but then I would have to kill ya is another way of saying it. :p :D

6. Hergé

Hergé Guest

Good day Gentlemen. The reason is a simple one.

It is thought prudent to use these freely available and FREE weapons & ammunition rather than deplete our own stocks. When all of the stocks of weapons are used up there will not be any left for the people to use against each other, or anyone else. Then the plan is to destroy them.

This will be done, with the helpful assistance of Russia and all other Eastern and NATO allies together with ALL other weaponry not under LEGITIMATE control.

I wonder if McCarthy ever thought of asking, "Are you now, in the past, or have you ever been, a member of the human race?"

The OBJECT of the excercise is to bring PEACE to the ENTIRE area in order to commence an extensive program of irrigation for PEACEFUL farming, fishing, forestry, etc. in order to ENSURE World Peace.

Turning "swords" into ploughshares.

You don't have to be an Angel, to do this job, but it is better, then you don't have to worry about a thing.

There is really nothing wrong with you that Reincarnation cannot cure. Take my word for it.

I have it on Good Authority. :) :) :)

From PaveFE "Give everyone a chance.......until they prove themselves stupid."

Quite so Pave.

Thank you.

Hergé

SIS

7. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

John: Here's an article for you! :) Take care. angel

More U.S. troops using confiscated AK-47 rifles

By ANDREW ENGLAND, ASSOCIATED PRESS

BAQOUBA, Iraq (AP) - An American soldier stands at the side of an Iraqi highway, puts his AK-47 on fully automatic and pulls the trigger. Within seconds the assault rifle has blasted out 30 rounds. Puffs of dust dance in the air as the bullets smack into the scrubland dirt. Test fire complete.

U.S. troops in Iraq may not have found weapons of mass destruction, but they're certainly getting their hands on the country's stock of Kalashnikovs - and, they say, they need them.

The soldiers based around Baqouba are from an armor battalion, which means they have tanks, Humvees and armored personnel carriers. But they are short on rifles.

A four-man tank crew is issued two M4 assault rifles and four 9mm pistols, relying mostly on the tank's firepower for protection.

But now they are engaged in guerrilla warfare, patrolling narrow roads and goat trails where tanks are less effective. Troops often find themselves dismounting to patrol in smaller vehicles, making rifles essential.

"We just do not have enough rifles to equip all of our soldiers. So in certain circumstances we allow soldiers to have an AK-47. They have to demonstrate some proficiency with the weapon ... demonstrate an ability to use it," said Lt. Col. Mark Young, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 4th Infantry Division.

"Normally an armor battalion is fighting from its tanks. Well, we are not fighting from our tanks right now," Young said. "We are certainly capable of performing the missions that we have been assigned, there's no issue with that, but we do find ourselves somewhat challenged."

In Humvees, on tanks - but never openly on base - U.S. soldiers are carrying the Cold War-era weapon, first developed in the Soviet Union but now mass produced around the world.

The AK is favored by many of the world's fighters, from child soldiers in Africa to rebel movements around the world, because it is light, durable and known to jam less frequently.

Now U.S. troops who have picked up AKs on raids or confiscated them at checkpoints are putting the rifles to use - and they like what they see.

Some complain that standard U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles jam too easily in Iraq's dusty environment. Many say the AK has better "knockdown" power and can kill with fewer shots.

"The kind of war we are in now ... you want to be able to stop the enemy quick," said Sgt. 1st Class Tracy S. McCarson of Newport News, Va., an army scout, who carries an AK in his Humvee.

Some troops say the AK is easier to maintain and a better close-quarters weapon. Also, it has "some psychological affect on the enemy when you fire back on them with their own weapons," McCarson said.

Most U.S. soldiers agree the M16 and the M4 - a newer, shorter version of the M16 that has been used by American troops since the 1960s - is better for long distance, precision shooting.

But around Baqouba, troops are finding themselves attacked by assailants hidden deep in date palm groves. Or they are raiding houses, taking on enemies at close-quarters.

Two weeks ago, Sgt. Sam Bailey of Cedar Falls, Iowa, was in a Humvee when a patrol came under rocket-propelled grenade and heavy machine gun fire. It was dark, the road narrow. On one side, there was a mud wall and palms trees, on the other a canal surrounded by tall grass.

Bailey, who couldn't see who was firing, had an AK-47 on his lap and his M4 up front. The choice was simple.

"I put the AK on auto and started spraying," Bailey said.

Some soldiers also say it's easier to get ammo for the AK - they can pick it up on any raid or from any confiscated weapon.

"It's plentiful," said Sgt. Eric Harmon, a tanker who has a full 75-round drum, five 30-round magazines, plus 200-300 rounds in boxes for his AK. He has about 120 rounds for his M16.

Young doesn't carry an AK but has fired one. He's considered banning his troops from carrying AKs, but hasn't yet because "if I take the AK away from some of the soldiers, then they will not have a rifle to carry with them."

Staff Sgt. Michael Perez, a tanker, said he would take anything over his standard issue 9mm pistol when he's out of his tank.

And the AK's durability has impressed him.

"They say you can probably drop this in the water and leave it overnight, pull it out in the morning, put in a magazine and it will work," Perez said.

8. Hergé

Hergé Guest

Good article Angel. Explains nearly everything. Thank you.

9. bassetman

Thanks Angel et al :D

Good article, that's what I kind of thought was going on.

10. KeithKman

KeithKman

Nice one Angel!

11. mad-martin

mad-martin

it would be absolutely stupid not to use them.
    years ago I was trained to operate a AK-47, just incase...
    i do not believe for 1 second that this would be any different in the US

12. deuce

deuce

I think I should probably clarify myself, and the one thing I see incorrect with the article. (thanks for posting it angel, BTW :))

When I said it wasn't true, I meant it wasn't true that it was because there is a shortage of M16s. I wasn't speaking about the fact that armor units are using them.

Here's the deal...there is definately not a shortage of M16s. There is more than enough to equip each active duty soldier, all basic training soldiers, guard and reserve memebers...ect........

The reason some armor units are using AKs is becuase an armor unit doesn't get issued many riffles. That's just the way it works. An armor unit can't walk around with a big 50 cal turrit and defend them selves with nothing else but a bunch of 9mms and maybe one riffle. Plus, any soldier that picks up an AK is going to keep it....lol.....just the way it works. The armor units out there are using these weapons to maintain their combat efficiency.

So.......sorry, I didn't mean to come out right and say that rumor was absolutely not true...;)

Just thought I'd add an opinion to some of the comments in the article about those that liked the AK better. Personally, I like the M16-A2. I haven't used an AK-47, but in my opinion, without actually having used an AK or been in combat, I think it's a better weapon. Field strips easily, effective range of 800 meters, effective in close range, light, inexpensive....................

Sorry I'll step down now...;)

13. Hergé

Hergé Guest

^ I prefer farming really. Where have all the young men gone, etc. ?

They paved Paradise put up another block.

Anyone seen Archie Bunker recently?

Hiding?

Gone fishing.

14. Hergé

Hergé Guest

Ever ... have ... to kill anyone Deuce?

How would ... you ... like it if someone killed you?

If mankind had family planning and raised only one child, and took good care of him/her instead of Crucifying the first born according to this dummy "religious" crap they have now, then probably nobody would ... "have" ... to kill anyone.

Killing ... starts ... when people start breeding like lemmings.

Then ... they start wars and start fighting.

Logistics and LOGIC!

Joyful all ye Nations rise.

Get OFF those knees and start thinking!

What ARE you all doing?

15. Gibble

Gibble

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice