1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hhard drive non-erasure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wuanbonebilly, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wuanbonebilly

wuanbonebilly Thread Starter

got new (old) pc (dell ) looked into why i had no space to do anything and found that i got 6,99 gb of hard drive and all but a sliver are taken..pc kleeps telling me...running low on space...in order to continue you need to free up some space...sic..ok this is what i did...i disk cleansed...got a little..disk frag..got a little...erased old and used programs..got a little..got ris old old files (me) i updated to xp pro before all this started...now here is the problem..on disk frag you got to have at least 15% free space to do a com-plete frag...i got six even after all that i've done....so it only does a half frag and tells me oops i can't do no more...so i go to old files...again..find more files..the pc tells me it can't erase these files because somebody is using them...i'm the only person using the pc..ok...so i know the know what happened there...i forgot to delete anything i didn't need...i need to solve that...i can't..now here comes the fun part...this pc has pictures (images out the yahoo..france..sand dunces..images of *&^%$ like desktop images...dogs..cats..clouds....pages and pages and pages..and files and files...and they won't delete cause this pc tells me it needs to know what created the files...so i send it out to find it on the web...it comes back unknown..no delete...now i get this message pc needs x amount of gb to run you have only.....00000 you need to remove files or programs do you want to..yes no... if i say no the computer on its next thing to do freezes and then shuts off..or it says its out of memeory to complete tasks or its is running low on virtual memory and is increasing..or an error cames up...and i got to go to task master to end program just to unfreeze pc...my question....how do i get more hard drive space....before i fgo buy another...i want space not another drive..unload these photos and old me files...and all that jazz..... peace out oh i kinda need this today...tomorrow is 4th..everybody will be out playing...if anybody can help....i know who but can't find.....HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP...dude you know how to find me...i'll be up till dawn

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You don't need to find what program created a file to delete it.

Use Shift-Delete in order to remove the file without putting it in the trash bin.

You just need to delete files. That is the only solution to having too much space used. For files that won't delete while the machine is running, try:

Unlocker or
    Emco Move On Boot

3. wuanbonebilly

that's ok guys i got my answer a few minutes ago from another forum about cluttered disk space...and got www. heidi.ie/download.php to erase what i need erasing...thanks. i'm gone

4. wuanbonebilly

got your message from my e-mail..will tery that and get back to you when i do what i do..or it does what it does...thanks Elvandil

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

If this PC was in my hands, and knowing it had a previous owner (usage history unknown), I would be wiping the entire drive clean and doing a clean install of the OS and any additional software, who knows what nasties are lurking on it, not to mention traces of dodgy material IYKWIM
    Use Eraser to create Darik's Boot N Nuke disc and use that to securely wipe all the data off the drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice