1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HHDs very expensive right now? need opinion on good one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hazybud1, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hazybud1

hazybud1 Thread Starter

this HDD has only 4 reviews can someone vouch if it is any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136950

i dont really know what to look for when looking at hdd but i assume i was looking for something with atleast 32 mb cache and 6.0 SATA port

i want between 500GB- 1TB HD since i dont think id need more than that..

western digital seems to be a bit more expensive but i trust them more can someone explain what the Intelepower means? it doesnt have a specific RPM speed..

here is another decent one i think? opinions?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136768

2. raybro

raybro

The 2 links you provided are for the Caviar Green and Caviar Blue. The Caviar Black is by far the more reliable unit. Newegg has a 500GB Caviar Black for $130. Click here to review it. It is also the only one with a 5-year warranty. That says a lot all by itself.

As far as I can tell, "IntelliPower" refers to a combination of factors which make the unit more efficient. May be meaningful or it may not. Main thing to know is the Black is built better than the others.

3. hazybud1

hazybud1 Thread Starter

ok thanks and ya i googled it. so is the speed of the hhd the cache mb? or the RPM of the spindle?

also the link u provided was the caviar green one i linked lol

4. raybro

raybro

The speed is the RPM of the disk. That particular drive has a 32MB cache which aids in the speed of the read-write process.

Sorry about the link. Had them all up at the same time and copied the wrong one. :eek:

My personal experience with WD has been good. Never had a problem with one. I still avoid large capacity HDD's (1TB+). Seems to be an extraordinary number of posts about difficulties with them.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive bought a lot of laptop hard drives lately ide and sata ones and they werent expensive at all. I buy them locally from my trusted computer places and usually buy WD or seagate ones.I wont buy anything bigger than 750gb because i dont need that large of a drive and the 1T ones are expensive and have caused people problems.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The drives are way up in price compared to just a few months ago. This is because of flooding of some drive factories in the far east. The problem should be "fixed" and prices back to where they were in a few months ie late winter~early spring.

7. Zygmo

Zygmo

Just an opinion here. I have purchased numerous HDDs through the years, and the only ones I never had any problems with were Maxtor. Seagate and WD have given me problems.

The main problem I had with WD was their support. I have a 250G WD now that has never worked right. I had one go bad, sent it back and got a 'refurbished' one, that was DOA. On sending it back, I complained about having bought a new drive, and getting a refurbished one back. All they did was send another refurbished one, which didn't last all that long. Don't get me started on Seagate. IMHO, the only drives that were worse than Seagate were the Iomega Zips. Those zip discs and drives were the most undependable pieces ever invented.

However, maybe both companies are ok now. My main computers don't even need internal HDs anymore. So I have only had to buy external USB drives in the past few years, and two of those are WDs that have been doing well.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, I'm a WD guy and have had bad luck with Seagate. Pretty good luck with Hitachi.

But I don't think that objectively speaking you will find much difference between the major manufacturers. Personally, I had the greatest failures among Seagates, but the WD's that failed were almost exclusively the Green series. Other drives with "power-saving" technology, from my experience, seem to have shorter lives, too. I think Intellipower is probably some sort of power-management routine or circuit, and I would avoid it, personally.

WD is very good about replacements, but that doesn't help much when your data is gone, too. Make backups. Drive failure is just a minor annoyance if you have backups. It can mean a great deal more if you don't.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice