Hhhhhhhhhhheeeeeelllllpppppppp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Links2

Windows updates has installed something onto my computer(I am thinking SP2 because it attempted to install it earlier yesterday and I chose not to install it...and i won't)...anyways, somewhere along the way it has installed someting and now it is asking me if I want to reboot my system for the installation to be completed...I am telling it not to but it keeps popping up asking me to let it reboot or I can do it later...

Is it possible to find out what it is in installed and can I reverse what it was that it installed?I am running XP

thanks in advance,

Links

Links2 said:
Windows updates has installed something onto my computer(I am thinking SP2 because it attempted to install it earlier yesterday and I chose not to install it...and i won't)...anyways, somewhere along the way it has installed someting and now it is asking me if I want to reboot my system for the installation to be completed...I am telling it not to but it keeps popping up asking me to let it reboot or I can do it later...

Is it possible to find out what it is in installed and can I reverse what it was that it installed?I am running XP

thanks in advance,

Links
Can't tell you how, but will say to prevent any further automatic downloads to turn off your updater. Go into Control Panel and under Windows Updater, click. You'll have the option to turn off the automatic updater.

DoubleHelix

Banned
There's nothing you can do until you allow the computer to restart. Trying to uninstall a system component that hasn't completely installed yet is not a good idea.

After the computer reboots, right click on My Computer and click Properties. The service pack level will be shown.

If SP2 didn't install, search the C:\Windows folder for *.log files and then sort by date so you can see the most recent one. The file will be named KBxxxxxx.log. You can then search Microsoft's site for that KB number and read what patch was installed. If you don't want it on your computer, you can uninstall it.

LauraMJ

Administrator
You should also keep to one thread. I've seen three identical threads that you have on this problem in the five minutes I've been on the boards. It makes it really hard for anyone to help you since people may end up with slightly different information and redundant advice.

This may be out of the box... but what if.. maybe just maybe.. windows downloaded an auto update? And it installed, and needs u to reboot? Do you have auto updates on?
-blitze

Links2 said:

thanks in advance,

Links
Not sure if this will help, but here is how I would approach the situation.
First, take a snapshot of the list of programs in Add/Remove from the Control Panel. Also, you can download Belarc Advisor (its free), and install it to take an inventory of your installed software from Microsoft and 3rd parties. Next, you need to find the .html file under the Program Files\Belarc subfolder and rename the file as each time Belarc is run it writes over the same file name.
Then you can reboot to finish the installation, and most likely find out what it was that Windows Update installed, by running a new Add/Remove list and also rerunning Belarc Advisor again.

When you know what was installed, you can then proceed to uninstall it through the standard Add/Remove mechanism if it is in that list, and if not,
look for a .inf file related to the specific windows update that was installed in a Microsoft subfolder or Windows Update subfolder and right-click select uninstall for it - making sure it is the exact .inf related to the particular update you are interested in uninstalling.

-- Tom

lotuseclat79 said:
....Add/Remove mechanism if it is in that list, and if not,...
-- Tom
Using this advice, you can also check the box at the top of the list of programs that says 'Show Updates'. Sometimes that box is turned off, and the list of updates [near the bottom of the list under 'Windows Updates'] doesn't show. (y) And also, if you click on update items in the list, you can get further info directly about it too thru M$ support, via the information link listed there with the particular update.

An easy way to check what service pack is installed is to go to Start - Run and type in winver...doc

As stated earlier. You will have to install fully before uninstalling so reboot. Also why all the fear with a windows update. They were created to help your system in the first place.

Links2

Thanks to all that have replied to my plight...
I did have auto updates on but it should have been "ask me first"...anyways, I attempted to install SP2 a while ago and before i did I completed all of the necessary task so that it would be a hassle free upgrade...well, it was far from hassle free, so now I do not want it...I look after my system pretty closely(I realize that doesn't mean I am not vulnerable to certain issues...anyways, I am just afraid that now that SP2(or whatever it is that was installed)is going to cause me grief again...that is why I am hesitant to reboot my system and wanting to know if there is anyway of cancelling the update before I reboot...
But, I will reboot just because I am going to have to eventually anyways...

I have read all of the posts and will try them...if nothing else it is a learning experience...nothing like coming here and getting ideas on remedies,procedures, etc...I love it because I learn something everytime I do come here...even if it is to just read other computer issues...

thanks all

If you look after your system pretty closely, clean the spyware regularly, uninstall junkware ect . . you are not likely to have any problems with SP2 . .

You will have to reboot. If you do not have system rstore enabled then first enable it and create a restore point.

Links2

Hi,
I do look after my system pretty well...I am not certain as to what stung me when I upgraded SP2 the first time, but once bit,twice shy...

thanks for your reply...

I will do a system restore and reboot, but will try winver first to see if it will detect any changes...it probably won't until I reboot and it completes the installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online