1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pushcrew, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pushcrew

pushcrew Thread Starter

I'll upload my computer report later here, so you could have a look at it. also need your opinions on the stores i like. heres a poll
    my god i bought my computer too early!
    man if i had my own money i would just buy a really good comp,but oh well, maybe when i grow older, computers will be so cheap. but everyone will have lots of ram and space, since programs are getting fat and fatter, like windows.

I got my computer from atic.ca

Asus p5p800 mother board
    intel celeron D 330 2666 mhz CPU
    512M DDR 400 Samsung
    maxtor 80GB SATA HD
    TA 192 300W case
    20 pin to 24 pin adapter
    Sapphire Radeon 9250 128m video card
    Microsoft windows xp Home edition
    router: klinksys WRT 54G
    Samsung 170N 17" LCD monitor

total cost 1199.28

Do you think that is decent, i just realize that best buy has so cheap computers, darn it.

But i was wondering why does Everest home edition say my ram is 333 MHz instead of 400 mhz

i emailed atic and the guy said

When running 533FSB Processors on an 800FSB board, the memory clock is dropped to 320MHz regardless of what memory is installed. The software may report this as 333MHz (closest standard), but the actual speed it is running at will be 320MHz. If you upgrade your CPU to an 800FSB processor, it should change to 400MHz.

Just wondering if that is correct and i do not understand what he just said :p
    And not sure how many pins my ram has

SDram is 168 DDR is 184 i think?
    240 for ddr2.

Was planning to upgrade my ram to 4 gigs, just wondering what you guys think i should buy,

And i live in vancouver, BC

So my favorities place to buy would be bestbuy and atic
    just wondering which store would be better

wondering what board i should get to get the maximum from my ram i should had just gotten 333 MHz huh? instead of paying for 400 MHz ram and have it drop o_O

I'm also wondering what type of sound card i should get, something that supports surrond sound, the onboard audio sucks, it can't play loud enough to hear a thing:p

i hope i get some advice, sorry if this is a bit long, also please comment on my computer, I'm not sure if its good enough to do much.

The things i use on computer:

Msn
    triilain
    F-secure internet security 2005 (shaw secure)
    Mirc
    play shattered galaxy sometimes
    Smart Ftp
    Everest home edition
    winrar
    gilly messenger
    Dap, though don't need it, but shaw is dum sometimes
    windows media
    winamp
    open office
    quicktime
    Jcreator
    Macromedia studio MX
    nero
    adobe reader 7 free version.

Not going to list all of them, but just the main ones. Shattered galaxy is a 100 megabyte for ram hog,
    F-secure and trillain are cpu hogs.

Also wondering how could i prevent my cpu from keep getting to 100% usage, since when i use f-securfe's real time scanning it stays are 100% for quite a while, just wondering if upgrading my cpu will help, or ram.

Attached Files:

2. pushcrew

pushcrew Thread Starter

BTW the zip folder both of them are the same, one is html and other is just txt

3. Dick1038

Dick1038

Years ago, when 700MHz was the tops, I decided I would get a top-of-the line computer. I spend over $2,000 for it. I got the tall tower case with six bays, EIDE controller for up to 8 drives, max memeory, etc. Six months later, it was just mediocre (1GHz was then tops) and selling for hundreds less. I recommend buying just enough performance to do the jobs you want.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its very common for the memory to run at a slower speed due to the processor bus restricting it so I would definitely say the guy is correct. PC3200 is the most commonly used RAM now and costs the same or less then then other speeds; it also allows for easy upgrading of the CPU. As a matter of fact every system sold at the place I work uses PC3200 for this very reason regardless of the CPU bus speed.

4GB of RAM is unneccessary, don't bother. Adding another 512MB stick would help though. It would also enable Dual Channel operation to increase your memory bandwidth.

As for if you got a good deal. Not really, you could have done much better.

5. pushcrew

pushcrew Thread Starter

oh, i see so would changing my board to 533 FSB work too?
    Or maybe upgrading cpu is better?

going to also ask, should i buy the same type of ram? I mean like vendor (samsung)

I'm just checking out the prices at atic and best buy, maybe no bestbuy, cause their site is weird :p

i wonder if i could buy http://atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=02088 but it says oem o_O or do i have to buy my original ram?
    Infineon DDR400/512M: DDR400 512M PC3200 CAS 3.0 Oem

maybe i should just go there and bring my invoice and see what they think, i should buy. Best solution, if i have no idea what to buy.

6. pushcrew

pushcrew Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have a 533Mhz FSB CPU and thats why its only running at 333Mhz. If you were to upgrade to a full Pentium 4, not Celeron, with an 800Mhz FSB, which your motherboard already supports, then you could run that memory at its full 400Mhz speed.

Why are upgrading? Is there something its not doing?

I know you mention the F-Prot problem, thats software not hardwware upgrade will fix that. There is something wrong with the installation of the program.

And for the sound level, thats likely a configuration problem. Onboard sound on many new boards is better then the cheap PCI cards you can buy. Check the volume levels, make sure the audio drivers are up-to-date, and make sure you are using a good set of powered speakers.

8. pushcrew

pushcrew Thread Starter

I only have 2 speakers, that are like 7-8 years old, maybe yeah.

Well the board says its

Sound Blaster Upgradeable
    With a few clicks of your mouse, the audio sub-system will be transformed into a fully Sound Blaster enabled audio power-house.

i don't get that, do they mean i could upgrade the board, or just some software

http://www.soundblaster.com/mbupgrade/

and i don't think the demo version has a limit.

maybe i won' help me, since i'm not using surrond sound or something.

Right now the thingy i am using is SoundMAX Digital Audio.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you should get new speakers first, and they must be powered by their own power source.

For basic needs onboard audio is fine, and the Anolog Devices chips are pretty good. For gamers or audio enhusiasts the upgrade might be worthwhile, but it still won't compare to something like the Audigy2 and newer cards if you are an extreme gamer or audiophile.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice