1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hi all! I finally got the win 98 se full install & I need help please!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Fatchik13, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

How do I install it? I already have win98 first edition, so do I need to delete that first? I tried to install already but a message came up saying I already have an os, ect. and I wasn't able to install. so does any1 know how I install? and what abt. my other files ect. like word pad......thanks so much in advance :D

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Is this a win98se CD? Or a downloaded file setup? If it the cd then here are some step by step instructions I found that should help Win98 SE

3. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

HI, thanks for the info. but it is not an upgrade. it is the cd and it is a full install, thanks

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Go back at it, that should have been a warning. The first install messages need to be carefully read.

5. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

I'm sorry I don't understand what u mean, go back at what? I already have win98 first edition and I want to put win98 se on my pc but b/c of my previous os it wont let me, and I cant uninstall win98 either- I tried, it is not listed in my add/remove program?? I need to install this win98 se full install cd oem. thanks

6. dr20

dr20

Hi,

How much space do you have on your C:\ drive? If there's enough, for example another 700mbs at least you can rename the current Windows OS then reinstall your new 98SE full with no problem. Afterwards when you boot up you can then delete your old OS after you take out whatever personal files you wish to retrieve if you haven't already.

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Go back and try it again. If you have 98 installed and are trying SE the messages are not clear, but you can do the upgrade. Now if you have an OEM disk, there may be an issue.

8. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

that sounds like a plan, how do I rename? I do have enough space :) I do have a manual and it told me to put in the start up disc, so I did. then I had to put in cd-rom, but after scanning it said i had a boot virus?? so im gonna run my virus scan now. thanks and let me know how to change names and how to delete. I already tried to delete my current OS but it isn't listed in the add/remove program?? thanks

9. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

MFD, it is not an upgrad, this is an OEM. and I have tried again already thanks

10. dr20

dr20

Well if you have a boot virus make sure to get rid of it first. After that download a fresh 98SE Startup Disk from the link below in case the one you have is infected. Get the 98 OEM version then extract it to a fresh floppy disk. Make sure when you're done click open the bottom left tab to write protect it.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Next boot up using your new Startup Disk with CD-Rom support and at the A:\ prompt type the following commands:

c: [hit enter]

At the C:\ prompt type:

ren windows windows.old [hit enter]
    ren progra~1 program.old [hit enter]

After those two folders are renamed type:

a: [hit enter]

At the A:\prompt with your Windows 98SE disk in the CD-Rom go ahead and install it. Make sure when it asks it's installed to a new Windows directory. When you're finished you can delete the Windows.old and Program.old folders.

11. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

ok, I dont know how to even make a boot disc :( I am not puter literate at all, the message Im getting says I have a boot sector:virus continue y/n? I dont know what it means. I ran anti-virus but nothing came up I am baffled.....thanks

12. dr20

dr20

Hi,

To make a new Startup disk download the 98 OEM version to your desktop from that link above then just click on it. It will automatically extract the needed files to a clean floppy disk.

But first go to these two free online virus scans and see if they find anything:

Housecall
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Panda
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

It's important that you know first in case you're unaware, if you rename those two folders then install 98SE in a new directory you will be starting from scratch, which means you'll have to reinstall all your programs and drivers. Are you sure that's what you want to do?

13. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

Hi! sorry just now getting back to you, BUT I had to go to my moms to access the inetrnet from her puter b/c I no longer have an OS on mine!! It has been deleted I suppose. :rolleyes:

I was on the phone with Microsoft for at least 40 mins earlier today and they told me that I needed to contact HP to find out how to format my pc, My puter is not formating??

Well I have not conctacted HP yet, I have ran the panda online anti-virus tho (b4 I lost my desktop) and 1 virus was found and disinfected. I also used AVG and ran anti-virus on the boot disc, but it came up clean.

I am a lil frustrated w/ all of this, I shoulda just stayed with what I had even if it didn't work all the way-it was better than nothing!! :p

Thanks for all the help ev1, I will try and figure this out, hopefully :rolleyes:

Will try n get on line later.

Bye 4 now :cool:

14. dr20

dr20

Hi, what procedure did you use to delete Windows 98, did you do a Format C: or rename those two folders? If you just renamed them and the folders are still present on the HD you can go back and restore their original names and get up and running again.

15. Fatchik13

Fatchik13 Thread Starter

Hi there dr20! I think it got deleted when I tried to install win98se and it asked me to format the HD and told me that everything on c: drive would be deleted?

Anyways, I have talke to both HP and Microsoft, BUT no resoloutiom yet:( The ppl from Microsoft in the virus dept. informed me that he thought what occured was this:
    My treadshareaway virus protection is abled and that it needs to be disabled in BIOS, so when I try to install win98se BIOS thinks it is a virus b/c of that being turned on, ect. So does any1 know how to do that?

I still do not have my OS and cannot access the internet. I wlll try n get online later, thanks for all the help :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice