Hi everyone ) problem with ISO's,sorry if im in wrong section

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

whateversky

Hi, from australia, ok anyway this is my problem, (or question) l am basically having problems with ISO programs and its driving me nuts!! lol
Now l know what an ISO is, its basically an image file of an entire cd packed into 1 cd. But i'm having problems understanding 'other' bits of techie stuff related to iso's if that makes sense. I'll try to explain what l mean, for the last 4 days ive been looking on the net for completely free iso related programs, l know of imgburn and thats a great one i've been told, and there's a few other simple programs that are very small in size, that are free to and l think infrarecorder is free. By the way if anyone knows of any completely free iso related programs please let me know.
Anyway l'll get to the point, afer researching for hours on end, these are some of the questions l want to ask, and l do really hope l get an answer for them in layman's terms hopefully. And please understand that my main wish is to learn to convert files or folders on my hard drive or on a blank cd (with files on it) to ISO format, and ISO format only, because l want to install these programs and games onto dosbox and scummvm, and windows xp (which is my operating system).

My questions about ISO's?

(1) Is it possible to burn an ISO image from harddrive to a cd WITHOUT extracting the files, because l tried this the other day, using a program and l actually thought that to burn an iso image file to cd the cd contents should just have the same thing an ISO file but what i'm trying to do is l want to either convert files from my harddrive to a blank cd in ISO format only, not the normal files or folders.

(2) Or how do l go about/or is it at all possible converting a cd with a bunch of normal files/folders on it to an ISO image format, l actually tried this with imgburn but l got nowhere, i'm actually starting to think im a retard or something ( or maybe i wasn't concentrating.

(3) Thirdly a while back l did manage to put an iso image on a blank cd but then the program told me if l wanted to write these files onto a cd, what does this mean? To my understanding is you just copy an iso file to a blank cd, l don't understand these 'other' files that need to be written, please explain if you can?

(4) Lastly is saving (on an iso program) the same as converting a file or folder to an iso image? And what's output file mean?

I know these sound like ******* questions but i'm just trying to learn for myself about ISO's and my wish to convert files to iso image, l know alot about many things but not that much about programs, (or iso's for that matter). If anyone could help me that would be wonderful, and thanks.

Information about my laptop are below:

compaq 6720s laptop
windows xp service pack 3
2.00 gb ram
2.00 ghz.
120 gb hard drive
firefox browser

Any questions feel free to ask, and sorry if l sound vague.

Aaron

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Once these ISO files are made and then copied to a CD as a ISO, what do you intend to do with them?

fairnooks

Banned
As Dave alluded to, ISO are a very simple concept for a very simple and needed purpose--to transport a number of intimately related files and folders (i.e., a program) electronically from one place to another in one file and allow someone who has no idea what or how they work individually, to put them back to a usable, installable program status just by burning the ISO back to CD or DVD.

With few exceptions (there must be some right?) there is no other purpose for an ISO file. If you're just trying to put a bunch of files and folders together, a zip or other compression file format is the preferred container since they are more convienent than the much more useability-restricted iso file.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online