1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hi, first-time Partitioner here...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rain777, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rain777

Rain777 Thread Starter

I've been trying to read up on posts about partitioning your HD, but for some reason none of it wants to stick. (it's past bedtime for me or something). So I figure the next best thing is to post my own and go from there.

I had a 20 gb Maxtor HD from Gateway, got it in December 2000 (*my first 'puter :D so i was green to begin with). NO ONE told me that hard drives expired after about 2-3 years, so in the process of learning how to move all my files, pictures, data, from my bulging, maxxed-out 20 gb HD to the new Maxtor 200 GB that I had bought for this express purpose of "being safe" with my precious information and cargo, the unthinkable happens, my 20 gb HD dies on me. :eek: :mad: :confused: With no real warning, I might add.

I took it to a computer shop and they said it was no good, it was making a noise, and they could do nothing about it (probably cuz I told them I only had $50 to fix it). They moved the big 200 GB hd(that I improperly hooked up in the first place as a back-up drive) to being my primary drive with my XP OS on it.

So now I have all this space with only one partition which is what I didn't want. I want a small partition to put my XP on, then maybe two more partitions to put important things, since I don't trust hard drives anymore. I want to do whatever I can to prevent this tragedy from happening EVER again. My whole life was on that drive, and I'm keeping it until I can find some way, any way to recover what's on it. :(

My question now is, how do I go back and partition this thing? I have my XP Home Edition cd to reinstall if I have to, plus the Maxtor MaxBlast3 software installation cd. I want to know the steps I should take since I might not be able to get back online again if I screw up. And if I do screw up, how would I crawl through the jargon unless I've got a roadmap? I don't have any computer-savvy friends to call up or come over, I'm in this alone. So needless to say, when I found this site, I was thrilled, and full of hope. You are my only hope, now. (Gateway has disowned me since I let my warranty lapse.)

Any information anyone could take the time to give would be excellent, and VERY much appreciated. Thanks alot. :) :) :)

Rain777

2. Dipeolu

Dipeolu

First of all if the formal harddisk is making some noise, that is very very bad believe me something is loose inside and because of a hard disk makeup, it is not repairable and data is not recoverable. to partition the new disk following the following steps

use a bootable disk (CD or Floppy)
    FDisk
    select 2 (partition Extended and logical drive)
    select No for Maximum size
    type either (25%, 50% or what ever space you want to partition)
    restart and format the new partition

You could also do this from your Win XP
    Run>Fdisk and follow the rest of the aforementioned lines

please reply to [email protected] if you do not understand and i will spell it out more

3. Rache

Rache Banned

This will talk you thro it http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm As you say it's best to have os on smaller partition, with progs and data on another. (I've got w2k on 3 partitions in case os goes and I can reclaim data.

4. Rain777

Rain777 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, guys. I will try it and if I need anymore help, I'll let you know. I just didn't want to reformat again. Here's hoping it works. (y)

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

"So now I have all this space with only one partition which is what I didn't want. I want a small partition to put my XP on, then maybe two more partitions to put important things, since I don't trust hard drives anymore."

Adding partitions will not save any data if a hard drive crashes. You need to back up your important files to a different device.

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

As SacsTC said, partitions won't protect from a failed drive so you might think about buying a second drive, size is only important to what you want to save, and making it a slave and copying all your "life" to it. Also you can burn CD's of course or buy Ghost or another program for a complete image but one of those choices is a must.

7. rarodrig

rarodrig

Also,

If you do resort to the Maxtor blast s/w. go to the maxtor website and download the latest version. I just did!! I could not get the version that came on the CD to work, but the download work fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice