Hi, I'm a not so tech savvy Mom who needs a recommendation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mariaswan1209

I don't even know if I'm in the correct forum LOL..like I said I'm a not so tech savvy Mom who needs a recommendation for a laptop for my 10 yr old son. He got a GoPro camera for Christmas from his Dad....we live in different states so I'm unsure of which model. He has asked me for a laptop for his birthday to specifically use with the camera. Which model/brand is best for him and also well priced for this single Mom?
Thanks!

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I assume all he's wanting it for is for photo editing and maybe internet and fb?
If wanting to game I suggest a desktop.

If the above is correct, I would recommend atleast an i3 CPU about 4-6gb ram and about a 500gb HDD.

Where would you like to purchase? Online or.local?

mariaswan1209

Yes, he wants a laptop. This way he can travel with it and share it with my other son. There are sooo many options out there. I am buying it online and shipping it directly to him. I live in Fl and he's in RI so this is what I always do for gift giving. I just want to make a good choice, have something he can easily use at a good price. He's totally more tech savvy than I LOL...he'got his own YouTube channel and does a lot of gaming too.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Ok do you know what kind of gaming? I assume it's MMOFPS or MMORPG? (Ask him)

Maybe you could provide a few game titles for us here so we have an idea on the amount of processing power needed.

The only reason I ask is because a gaming laptop can be quite pricey. (And you haven't provided a budget price range yet :) )

mariaswan1209

Ok, I didn't realize that gaming computers are expensive. He does have a gaming system, XBox360. So really this is specifically for the camera. I checked on Amazon first since I do 99% of my shopping from there. I can spend $300 to $400 tops. The one I zeroed in on is a HP 13.3 inch Intel Cerelon 2 GB RAM, 32 GB with SSD. It's $230 plus I opted for the service plan for $50. I just don't know if this'll do the job. I researched a bunch of different brands and I think HP has the best laptops. Again, I just want to make a good choice that doesn't disappoint :)

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Hi yes gaming LAPTOPS are more expensive because they have MUCH more powerful hardware and dedicated graphics cards and are also built with much more cooling demands.

If you are looking for a basic laptop for just internet use and pics, I'd suggest a Dell. I don't use HP myself because they have had a lot of problems with certain models in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude...841011,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:7817224011

It's used but would be a good deal

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I can spend $300 to $400 tops. The one I zeroed in on is a HP 13.3 inch Intel Celeron 2 GB RAM, 32 GB with SSD. It's $230 plus I opted for the service plan for $50. I just don't know if this'll do the job.
That budget laptop is strictly for basic computing functions and not for gaming.
It needs a much faster processor and more RAM and a larger hard drive and a good graphics device.
You'll probably need one that costs $1,000.00 or more.

The hardware/gaming experts here can give you better advice and recommendations.

--------------------------------------------------------------

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
@mariaswan1209

Frank is correct, hence the reason I asked which games he plays because there are many out there that don't need MASSIVE hardware for.

mariaswan1209

Ok, let's just zero in on a laptop for use with his GoPro LOL. No gaming since I'm not prepared to spend $1,000 for sure. So the HP isn't enough? Which Dell would be the best? I've had a bad experience with Dell in the past so I'm hesitant to give them my money again. There's so many out there, what's a Mom to do LOL. I'm really clueless.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Hahaha well actually ive had VERY good experience with a LOT of their desktops and some laptops too.

I will post some tomorrow. Frank here is very good with Dell he may provide some insight too.

mariaswan1209

Ok Andrew, thanks. My experience with them was like almost 20 years ago so I'm willing to be open minded. A lot of my friends have recommended them too. I just thought I'd ask you tech experts since my friends are much like me, clueless. Whatever you post I'll look up :)

mariaswan1209

My son and I were just texting and he wants either a Chromebook or a MacBook. Now since reading some other forums about the GoPro files perhaps a desktop would be best like you first suggested Andrew. I have until April so I guess I should start saving LOL.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Real quick as I'm off to bed....what makes you say that?

It shouldn't matter weather desktop or laptop for the gopro.

mariaswan1209

Idk it just seemed that some users of GoPro had a harder time editing on their laptops because the files are large. If you're saying it shouldn't matter than great. I'd much rather him have a laptop. So which one...Dell or the pricey MacBook? I did check out the one Dell model you recommended and I like that too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online