1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hi Im new and I got my first question.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hernandez3674, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hernandez3674

hernandez3674 Thread Starter

I partioned my hard drive so my operation system is on "C" and all other on "D". I did this so when I install programs I put on the "D" drive and when it get screwy I reformat my "D" without losing windows. Anyways, When I go do dowload by default windows want to use my "C" drive. I have to manually change it to "D." Is there a way It can automatically go to my "D" drive.
    THanks . This forum will really help me learn about my computer. By what Ive been reading you are all great to learn from. Thanks again.

2. slipe

slipe

Hi – welcome to the board.

Most programs default to Program Files on the C drive. Some crummy mom and pop software will want its own heading directly under C. Either way they want to be on the C drive.

You can usually redirect them during the install. Create a “Programs” file on your D drive and browse to that.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone using your strategy. Usually if you have problems to the point where you would format your D drive and reinstall all of the programs you would want to do a fresh Windows install. Your registry and other things in your Windows folder are probably messed up.

I keep all of my programs on the C drive. I have a Ghost of the C drive both on CDR and on my D drive. The Ghost was taken soon after a clean Windows install with all of my programs configured and updated. Anytime Windows gets klunky I can just format the C drive and put things back like they were when everything was fresh and the computer was running well. The files I Archive on other drives are not affected.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    <a href=http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm#download_directory> This </a> tells you how to setup a default download location in IE. I assume that's what your looking for. If you need help editing your registry for the default download location, let us know.

I also attached an image.

Let us know what happens.

Attached Files:

4. faiz

faiz

Hi slipe!
    sounds interesting making a ghost image of the C' drive . How do you do that ? I too have a cd writer , so do let me know how you make an image since my programs on the C ' drive are almost 2.5 gb , as well as keeping an image on the D' , since I too have a partitioned drive

Let me know please

5. 01101001

Hi:

You'll find an excellent user's guide on Ghost HERE.

Ghost costs a few bucks but its worth every penny. ;)

6. faiz

faiz

Thank you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!