1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hi, l have some question/s regarding Hd Radeon 5450 and games on my PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by Aaron7, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aaron7

Aaron7 Thread Starter

Hi all from Australia. OK l will try to explain properly what my problem is.
    Basically l bought a secondhand computer around 2 weeks ago. Now this PC is nothing special, it just has 160 gb, intel core 2 duo, 2 x 2.8 ghz of speed, and 2 gb’s of Ram.
    And it has a Radeon HD 5450 graphics/video card.
    My post today is mainly about this graphics card.
    And firstly l just want to say that l use the PC l bought, for studies, web surfing and playing PC games.
    I’m a huge PC game fan, and l usually play old games from the 80’s and 90’s.(so DOS games) and some PC games up until 2006/2007.

There are just a few games l wish to play that were made in the last year or two.
    So l want to ask would my graphics card be able to handle these games. And first of all l know the radeon hd 5450 isn’t the best graphics card, I’ve done research on it, and l absolutely have no interest in playing games like Crysis 1, 2 or whatever, or modern warfare (l think its called) so l don’t have much of a need for high demand, battle games or real intense gaming. I just prefer the games from what l mentioned above, mainly adventure gaming etc.
    This is my take on it, from memory the radeon hd5450 was released, around 2 years ago, so does that mean it would be able to handle any game, or most games “before” it was released?
    I mean this card l know isn't the latest and greatest, but it should still do the trick, it's still a graphics card?

If you understand what l mean?

Meaning the card is only a few years old, and surely it could handle pc games around 2005/2006? And of course games from the 90’s!
    And lastly I’m trying to decide if l should upgrade to a better graphics card, for my pc game needs, is it worth doing it, for my choice in gaming?
    And does a better graphics card necessarily mean a better game graphics?
    I guess what l mean is, if you play old Dos games/or 90’s games, would the games graphics look better, or much different if l played them with the radeon 5450 card, or some more advanced card?
    I’m guessing no, because dos games are very old and those games run on a completely different system, but l would like your take on it?

So to sum it all up, the questions I’m asking are…
    Would my radeon card be able to handle my choice of games?
    Would it be fair to say that the PC games released before this card was released would run ok on my PC? Simply because the card is only around 2 years old, and most games l wish to play were released before the card was released?
    And finally the question about whether there would be much difference, or improvement, with graphics regarding old games/90's games. 2005/2006 etc?

And definitely finally, lol l am sorry for the long post, or if these question/s has been discussed before, or even if they seem like stupid questions, l’m just finding it hard to decide whether to upgrade or not, and would be grateful for some insight.

Thanks very much, bye.

Aaron

2. Megabite

Megabite

I would say the V card you have should be OK for the old games...and getting a upgrade V card for those games you wouldn't see much difference on the screen...but it may play smoother.

Have you tried any of the older games to see?

3. Aaron7

Aaron7 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your answer, l appreciate that. Actually no l haven't tried much games, yet because l haven't set the pc up yet, i'm still using my old laptop from years ago, but l will test them in the next day or two.

What about games from 2005/2006? etc what's your view on that, in regard to the video card?
    And lastly am l right in saying that, certain pc games made before this card came out, should run fine, because i'm coming from a point of timing, if the games that were released before this video card, was then l should be ok? l guess we can only speculate?
    One things for sure just like in life, there seems to be no definite answer when it comes to certain techie matters. (just my view anyways).

thank you bye

Aaron

4. Megabite

Megabite

"What about games from 2005/2006?"

It depends as that Video card was not and is not top of the range then or now...so if the game is demanding as some games where even back then...then it may not play.

If you still have the games then best bet is to set up the PC install the game and test.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I would agree with Megabite, the easiest way to confirm / deny that they will work is probably to test them. It can be harder to work out if an old game with work on an older card than it is for a brand new game on a new card.

I believe the HD5450 was released February last year (2010), however it was only ever designed as a lower end card for light gamers. As a comparison, my old PC had an Nvidia 8800GT which was a pretty decent card in its day, that was released at the back end of 2007 (Oct maybe?), when I got my new machine it originally had a HD5450 in it (which was going to be upgraded anyway). The old machine (8800GT, dual core intel, 2gb RAM and WinXP) ran my games considerably better than my new PC (HD5450, core i5, 4gb RAM and Win7 64 bit) until I upgraded the GPU.

Having said all that, for the DOS and 90's games I don't think you will have any problems at all and a better card will probably make little (if any) difference. 2005/2006 games, you should be OK with a good chunk of them but the HD5450 may struggle occasionally on particularly demanding games of the time or if you are running at a higher resolution.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!