1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hi, l have to ask a weird question about my harddrive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aaron7, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aaron7

Aaron7 Thread Starter

I bought a second hand PC recently, But l have to ask a funny question.

You see my room is carpeted, and my table is a little too small to put my hard drive on it, just the monitor, so would it be safe to put the hard drive on the carpeted floor..(and l don't want to buy another table, perhaps later on)

Meaning the way l tend to think is, it's obviously operated by power, etc.

I mean has a hard drive ever gone up in flames? Like has a pc ever blew up or something?
    I assume you can put a hard drive anywhere you wish to?
    I just need confirmation.

So that's the question, and please excuse it, as i'm just wondering about it.

Thanks

Aaron

2. hazybud1

hazybud1

shouldnt the hard drive be inside the tower? lol

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I assume that you are calling the tower a hard drive. The hard drive is inside the tower. Yes, you can put the tower on a carpeted floor. Towers do catch fire from time to time, but no more than any other appliance.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Computers can catch fire usually from overheating from dust or a bad power supply.Harddrives are always inside a computer whether its a laptop or a tower.And laptop batteries have been known to explode. But thats rare.If you take good care of a computer they can last for many years without problems in theory anyway.

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

If you can't afford a table, how about a small square of wood to keep it off of the carpet and make it a bit more stable? You could get an off-cut of wood at a DIY store for a few pence.

6. Zygmo

Zygmo

Yes, put it up on something. Not saying you are a bad housekeeper or anything...but the floor (expecially carpeted!) is the worst place to put a computer.

And yes....computers can catch fire. A friend went to the grocery store, and when he got back, the power supply fan in his computer had locked up, caught the computer cabinet on fire, and had started burning his carpet. So many people leave their computers running all the time...why? If you are leaving for awhile...turn it off.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I guess we'll never know....

If it is a hard drive, rugs are insulators, like blankets, and hard drives need to be cool.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice