1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HI-Speed USB Driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rigglord, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rigglord

Rigglord Thread Starter

I'm getting a high speed printing support error, it stating that I need to add a high speed USB host controller to support my device. I wasn't entirely clear whether it was a hardware device or a driver upgrade on that error message.
    Any help would be deeply appreciated. If it's a driver upgrade, (which apparently was not included in my software drivers when I installed the drivers for my new printer) where can I get it. If it's a hardware issue, does firewire fall into HI-Speed USB host controller?

2. Tushman

Tushman Banned

No it does not. Firewire uses a different protocol.

I suspect the USB controller in yoiur system is not quite right. Go to My Computer and look under your Device Manager. Scroll down to your yoiur USB controller and see if yoiu see any yellow highlighted exclamation marks.

Also, a common mistake made by many users is that they plug in the USB device while the computer is shut down. In order to install a USB device properly, you need to plug it in with the PC booted up and while your Win OS is up & running.

If neither of these situations apply to you, let us know and someone else might have further suggestions.

3. cnm

cnm

Sounds like it may want a USB 2 controller, and what you have is a USB 1 controller. Controller is built in to mobo (usually). Nothing to be done as far as I know. Maybe there's some way to tell your printer USB 1.

Or I may be all wrong - specially if in fact you have USB 2.:) Check with Device Manager.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

USB 2.0 PCI cards cost less than $20, so if you have USB 1.1 on the MB, you could just add one of these. They come with all flavors of Windows drivers, XP doesn't require drivers for most of them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice