Hibernate gone on XP reinstall?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ozcol

I reinstalled XP Home because the friend that set my Desktop PC up for me before i knew anything about them 2 years ago lost the original Ghost with just XP and SP2 on it. The earliest Ghost of my 'c' drive that i have contains applications from Hardware that i no longer have, but can't delete completely, and cause problems with the new hardware software that i have. That is 20 minutes to start, minimum, if at all. With crashes and freezing etc.. The only thing i could do was to select 'Standby' which would put the PC into hibernation by shutting down the CPU ( which only uses about 5 watts ) and this would take only 14 seconds to restart Windows. However once the Anti Virus that i'm using began to not update any more without restarting my PC i had had enough and tried reinstalling XP myself.
Now i couldn't manage to make a slipstreamed disc of the original XP and SP2 with the Windows updates that i had downloaded from Microsoft, so after i installed the original XP on its own to my 'c' drive, i ran the updates that i had saved to my 'd' drive and installed them on my 'c' drive too'. This is when i noticed that the option to place the PC on standby was gone.
I phoned my mate long distance for his advice which was that something must have been changed in the BIOS. So not really understanding the BIOS i photographed every setting that was on it at this point and then reinstalled the earliest Ghost that i have [of course not having my current hardware set up on it, it is not of much use to me] and photographed the BIOS settings on it. Comparing both, they are identical. Yet now of course i have the standby mode option back on Windows. Now this i don't understand, when it goes into standby now the CPU doesn't stop, only the video disappears. Hardly what i would call a "sleep mode".
Then i was informed by someone else that the BIOS on your PC is completely independent of the software (XP, in my case) on your PC so no matter what Ghost snapshot you restore, the BIOS settings will be the same. The likely culprit is Power Options, which you will find under Control Panel. They can be customised to affect the way that Standby and Hibernate behave. But i tried changing each setting in "Power Options" one at a time and then restarting my PC, and then checking the standby function, with still no change from before. But then after this i was told that when you install WinXP, the setup program interrogates the PC hardware and BIOS to figure out what type of machine it is. At this point it selects the correct driver files for the BIOS and machine capabilities. If for any reason, it detects that your PC cannot hibernate and/or does not have power saving options, then it will install the most basic drivers. After this i was then told to check for the following -
In Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > System Devices
are you getting an entries that say "Microsoft ACPI Compliant System" or any ACPI entries. If you are not, then it is probable the setup did not detect this as you expected when you installed Windows this time. But i then checked under "system devices" and found these
-ACPI Fan
-ACPI Fixed Feature Button
-ACPI Thermal Zone
-Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
After this i was then informed by some else that the following steps would help me:
To hibernate: On the Start menu, click Turn Off Computer. In the window that appears (here's the tricky part) hold down the Shift Key; the StandBy button changes to Hibernate; click it before releasing the Shift key. The computer will hibernate rather than enter standby mode. (If yours doesn't support standby, then the button always appears as Hibernate, and you won't need to press the Shift key).

This indeed does work on my PC, and also when pressing the "sleep" key on my keyboard and the "shift" key at the same time.

But yet my dilemma is still how do i remove the "standby" button and replace it with a permanent "hibernate" button as it once was? I can't understand why this would have changed at all since i have re-ghosted it back to an earlier stage when this was the way it was.
I have searched the forums but haven't found an exact answer for my question.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers - ozcol.

ozcol

I tried asking for an answer on a Forum based in my own country of oz without any sucess. So i thought that by broadening my horizons and asking a World Wide Web Forum for the solution [epecially one that is based in the homeland of Microsoft] would prove immediately successful. At least 20 views of my dilemma have taken place so far without an attempt by anyone to solve it. So i figure that it is an enigma that might be too difficult to solve, or that i have asked a really dumb question that is being treated with the contempt that it deserves. If i don't get a reply i guess i know which one it is, and i apologise if i have wasted anyone's time.
Cheers - ozcol.

Hibernate is not a default setting. In desktop R click and select properties screensaver energy advanced and sleepmode and set your desired options. Yes in the BIOS it must be allowed. Normally it is. Some PC's don't offer this option.

bernardus

ozcol

Typing is not my Forte. I'm sorry that i didn't make clear that the advice that you gave me i have already previously utilised to get me to the stage where i can use the "Shift" key to turn the standby button into a "Hibernate" button to send my PC into Hibernation. In a previous stage my PC was set up so that only a "Hibernate" button [no "Standby" button at all] was visible with the "Turn off" and "Restart" buttons. I at this point would like to know how to achieve this please. Thankyou for the acknowledgment that at least my question is not a pointless one.
Cheers - ozcol

I always use the option to set the PC in sleepmode (when selected) with the power switch or sleepswitch if any on the front. There is also an option with the program Freemeter to hibernate the system if selected under the properties as I streched out previously.

bernardus

ozcol

Some of you, as i was, may be interested in the following webpage regarding hibernate etc.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html
Because i use drive imaging to backup my system i am bloating my backup files by an unnecessary 1 GB. So i will be removing the hibernation feature from my PC for all time now.
But my curiousity is overwhelming still. Does anybody know how my PC was enabled previously to have the "Hibernation" button and not the "Standby" button permanently displayed at "Turn Off"? I can't find the answer on any forum or the Microsoft site either.
This one is the Microsoft hot fix to show both Standby and Hibernation[no holding of the Shift key] buttons at the same time on Turn off [almost but not quite the answer i was looking for]:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893056
Thanks for everybodies efforts so far.
Cheers - ozcol.

ozcol

I think that from the time that has passed and from all the research that i have done that only one person in the world knows the answer to my question. At the moment he is too far away, and too busy, to check out how he set up my PC in the first place to answer my question. So i shall just have to leave it at that and consider the subject closed.
Thanks for everybody's contributions.
Cheers - Colin.

If you switch off in normal mode trough the start button etc. You can choose the option to log off Sleepmode Standby or to Hibernate. Once chosen the hibernate option it will repeat this function as regular untill you change it. Easy as cake.
It is possible that in your BIOS a different option is set. This describes the reaction to the power key or the mode of switching off.

bernardus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online