1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hibernate or Standby - which is better? + second laptop battery questions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by OM2, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

For my laptop, should I hibernate or standby?

Standby: it leaves the power light flashing
    Hibernate: seems to turn off almost

Does one keep more power than the other?

Stanby is more convenient as when I open the laptop it turns on from there

If I got an extra battery, could I hibernate, and then swap batteries?
    Actually: how would I charge a second battery without it being connected to a laptop?

Thanks!

OM

2. JPLamb

JPLamb

Both have there uses.

An explanation is HERE

the computer uses no power when in hibernation. you could change the battery when it is hibernating but charging the battery may be your issue, you would have to charge one then charge the other

JPLamb

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks for the reply
    the link says standby uses LESS energy?
    i would have thought standby uses less?
    since in standby - it's still on?
    thanks

4. JPLamb

JPLamb

standby uses less energy than when the computer is left turned on, standby puts everything in to low power mode. With Hibernate you can turn all power off to the machine once it has finished hibernating.

It all depends on how long you are going to be away from the computer, if it is only going to a be a few mins or so then standby is the best other wise hibernation is the best because it means you will save power.

JPLamb

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually there are 2 standby possibilities. S1 set in bios under power management will leave some system components running such as hard drive and fans to provide fatser recovery to Windows whereas S3 is a total ram power down almost exactly like hibernation but with a quicker recovery time.

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

hibernation is the way to go...uses no power at all,resume where you left off at just as with standby,no data loss during power interuptions as with standby.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice