1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hibernate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by airborne17, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airborne17

airborne17 Banned Thread Starter

Not really an XP matter, but I do use Windows XP Home with SP3.

I have been using Standby for a long time now for lengthy shutdowns. I do not reboot for several days.

I have been getting memory low alerts quite often and when these happen, I do reboot.

As I understand it, Standby uses RAM to store the data and as I only have 1 GB - 960 RAM, it is not a great deal of memory to use for storage.

I have switched to Hibernate which does not use RAM, but stores the data on my hard disc. I have stacks of free space on that.

Do you think that Standby was my trouble with low memory alerts and now with Hibernate I will be free of this problem ?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your specs, your computer has a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P motherboard.

It has 2 slots and supports up to 8 GB of RAM.

It's currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with only 1 GB of RAM, so you should seriously consider adding another 1 GB or increasing it to 4 GB.

We don't know what programs you have installed in your computer and how many running processes it has, so that may be contributing to the "memory low" messages.

Regardless of what's causing the message, you need to add more RAM because computing functions and programs and websites have gotten more and more memory-hungry over the years.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. airborne17

Thank you for posting. I do need more RAM and will consider increasing it.

In the meantime, will Hibernate ease the problem by saving to disc rather than RAM ?

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In view of this

although standby was never meant for such a period of time, I would examine your task schedule.
    I would also check what is open when you place it in standby and try with the minimum

Leaving your browser open - especially if it is Firefox - certainly has a reputation for ram use

However the real problem has been covered by my colleague

5. valis

valis Moderator

what is your swapfile set at?

To the best of my knowledge, hibernate will use less RAM than standby. That said, XP was known to needing reboots every week or so. Hence the question on the swapfile.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used the hibernate/standby function in Windows XP, and I always allow it manage the swapfile, so I'll leave it to you guys to address those issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. airborne17

Hibernate does not use RAM at all. Storage is to disc.

I let Windows control my Pagefile and memory needs. At present the recommended level is 1438 MB and it is currently set at 2878 MB.

As Standby does not shut the PC down, but has it trickle power, I suspect that when the data is stored on RAM the system senses that VM is excessive and triggers an alert that memory is low and Windows is increasing it., even when on Standby. Then when I come out of Standby, the alert becomes visual on screen. It happens just when I have come out of Standby, not every time but often enough to become a pain. When on Standby the system is very much alive although on low power.

I also suspect that because by then the data has gone back to disc, the alert is actually meaningless. I just hit the "X" and get rid of it. Nothing untowards ever happens with operations afterwards.

But why are we talking of Pagefile, which is a memory parameter ? Hibernate does not use VM, although it does take much longer to come out of, as it does in fact shut the system down.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No.

Standby maintains power to the memory and shuts off pretty much everything else. If power is lost you will lose any data that exists only in memory.

Hibernate saves memory to the hard drive and then shuts off power as in shut down. If power is lost it's no big deal because memory is restored from the hard drive when the PC is awakened.

9. airborne17

I strongly suspect that as AVG 2015 updating is a scheduled task, then when on Standby, AVG wakes the computer up from its slumbers and actually updates. Then it goes back to sleep.

The task is scheduled for around 23.00, so I never see it, but when I do come out of Standby, I often find that AVG has been updated. It may be possible to do this for a scheduled task even on low power, but it is not possible on Hibernate.

10. Macboatmaster

With AVG 2015 it is just never going to work well with 1Gb ram
    That said I am not a fan of AVG

11. airborne17

I know my RAM is not really enough, but generally it works well and I have no trouble whatsoever and certainly not with AVG. AVG has given me an impeccable trouble-free service for about 10 years now. I could ask no more from any AV program.

As I am now using Hibernate, my memory will not be taxed heavily with Standby data storage. My PC is set to clear Pagefile on shutdown and Hibernate does shutdown the PC.

All I was asking is "will using Hibernate cure the memory storage problem caused by Standby ?". The answer should be YES, but nobody has yet said it. I have no immediate concerns about low RAM. 1 GB seems to handle my activity very well.

12. Macboatmaster

Answer YES more than likely - the test of course is to try it

Agreed -- data is written to the hiberfil file not to ram

does not actually refer to physical ram - refers to the page file

IMHO the test of the cause for the original posted problem was as I said reduce the running processes to minimum before placing it in standby

and also IMHO
    you were using standby for a purpose for which it was never designed.

and finally
    I do not doubt it - but not of course AVG2015

Good luck with it

13. airborne17

Thank you for those constructive comments.

Your only adverse remark is about AVG 2015. We must agree to disagree. IMO AVG 2015 is a superb program which matches or exceeds any other AV program available today - free or paid for. I do not need any luck with AVG, their expertise is quite adequate.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice