1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hibernates, but then "comes back alive"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ernp, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ernp

ernp Thread Starter

Got an XP S2, with 256M of RAM, 2 hard disks of 40 meg each. For over 2 years, I've had it set to "When I press Power Button, go to Hibernate." Worked great, avoiding the godawful long reboots. I only rebooted when updating or installing, and very infrequently, when things choked up the machine. All is happy.

Last week, it started to act up:
    * I press power button, it tells me Preparing to Hibernate or whatever.
    * It progresses thru the getting ready to go to sleep screens, counts down and goes to Hibernate state.
    * All is well.
    * One minute to 90 secs. later, it powers back up, & comes out of hibernate, to normal operating status.

Nothing else is wrong. I've run a couple of virus checkers, a couple of Register cleaners, and some clean-up disk utilities. Nothing negative, but no effect whatsoever.

I've gone into Power Settings from Control Panel. Several times I took it out of the Hibernate instruction, rebooted, and put in back into Hibernate mode. No luck.

I did the same thing, only setting it to Total Off, to Restart, to Ask Me What to Do, and to Go to Standby. After power off, reboot, and later reset to Hibernate, no luck. It continues to "UnHibernate" after a minute or two of darkness & inactivity, when it's supposed to be hibernating.

Any diagnosis, deductions, advice, instructions, magical spells, would be greatly appreciated. (My wife hates the time and operations of going through Power Off normally and then rebooting from scratch. I get bored with that too. Standby is nearly acceptable, but the power and cooling fan and OS don't go off.

Many thanks,
    --ernest

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Any new hardware or software installed in this period? If you don't want to try a "system restore" (they can be undone), you can also try "clean boot" troubleshooting >>

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << for Vista, but applies equally to XP, and better written.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in &#8220;selective&#8221; startup mode &#8211; you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

3. ernp

ernp Thread Starter

4. ernp

ernp Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,
    This was my original problem. On Nov 1 you answered that I ought to try "clean boot" troubleshooting, and described the process. Clear, but it seemed like it'd take time doing all that iterating of operations. So...I put it off.

At last, during Xmas goof-off time, I finally got to working on the problem.

--------------------------

Fast, dirty, answer...It appeared to not have anything to do with this misbehavior. I did the msconfig work and turned off all services, rebooted, and started off to disable 1/2 the services at a time, until I could attribute the missbehavior to one startup cause.

It didn't work out. At Step # 1, I worked on the config script, unchecked all the operations & startups, and hard rebooted to start off with the chores of rebrowed. Okay, all looked good. But when I did my first, baseline reboot to start to track down the culprit....

Surprise, at first clean reboot, it shut down, to poweroff, and then rebooted itself within about two minutes. So it apparently had nothing to do with the startup script! It just sat there smirking at me.

So I reset back to original config, and went back to my temporary no-brainer solution. This is to begin to shutdown, let it go to poweroff, then click off the master power switch to all the system power modules (console, crt, printer, etc. Then it CAN'T reboot.

BTW when I do this, and then turn power back on after a halfhour or more...it doesn't reboot and come back to live. If I leave it off only a couple of minutes to about 10 or 15, it WILL revert to rebooting behavior.

Thanks for the great advice, RRog. Sorry to report it didn't fix the problem. Do you have any further advice, now that we ruled out the simple A/B test approach?

I would appreciate hearing your next idea....Really!

Cheers,
    --ernest

5. ernp

ernp Thread Starter

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Installed any hardware or hardware drivers recently? Windows updates of drivers maybe?
    90% of these issues caused by drivers that don't work with power management...especially audio drivers.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What other power options are turned on like stand-by, screen saver, and are the drives set to go to sleep at a certain time also?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't account for the "regularity" of the problem -- especially if you carried out the clean boot test fully.

But there is also a BIOS option that can result in wakes -- not just from Hibernation but from total shutdown -- this is usually called "wake on" LAN or something similar

Watch the first data screen you see booting up to see which key to press to enter "setup" (thats the CMOS/BIOS configuration)

Look there for any "wake on" settings and make sure they are disabled.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice