Hibernation Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blaqDeaph

Hi,

I am running Windows SP2 on a Sony Vaio Laptop. It currently does not have hibernation enabled, and there's no hiberfil.sys in the c:\ drive.

When I try to enable hibernation in the control panel, it gives the error: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Any one have any idea how to solve this problem?

was it like this when you got it. Did you get it new or used. what kind of windows do you have XP 2000 99 95 ME office

blaqDeaph

When I first got the computer, it was fine. After reformatting, I didnt enable hibernation for a long time. Suddenly when I wanted to enable it i couldnt

Windows XP SOrry

From the link I posted:

After answering those again, the tech then had us run 'msconfig'. We 'disable all' on 'Startup'; 'Services', 'boot'; 'WIN.INI'; and 'SYSTEM.INI'.

We restarted the computer and was able to 'enable hibernate' in the Power Options.

We ran 'msconfig' again and 'enabled all' on the 5 sections.

We restarted the computer and the hibernate works fine.

According to the tech's response from Microsoft:

Action: Hits hibernate button.

Result: A process is currently running that is preventing another process from going into hibernate.

Cause: Startup group items were preventing hibernate.

Resolution: Performed clean boot of the system by removing all startup group items. Now able to get into hibernate. Rechecking startup group items didn't have any effect on hibernate. It seems that it only affected it when hibernate was disabled.

blaqDeaph

I tried removing all start up items, and still no dice? Does it have anything to do with Deamon Tools being installed? Is there any way to get around it? I'm only using version 3.47 which AFIAK is much less intrusive than 4.xx

i have one soltuion:
Do you have alcohol 120%
If yes then remove it , restart the computer
enable hibernation and restart the comp
reinstall alcohol

hope it helps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online