HID-Compliant Touch Screen driver and Tablet Mode are gone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shadowsden89

My touchscreen driver has disappeared!

I was using my Spin 3 (Acer SP315-51-37E7) in tablet mode a few days ago when all of a sudden, the touchscreen stopped working. I checked Device Manager and didn't see it. I enabled "show hidden" and I saw it then. I right-clicked to see if I could update/reinstall/repair the driver, however, those options were not available.

So I did a restart and checked again... it was gone, not hidden, gone.
So I did a reset hoping that would work. Nope.
I did a clean installation of Windows 10, that didn't work either.
Windows 10 has been completely updated, I've restarted, and it's still not there.
I've checked the downloads available for my model (SP315-51-37E7) on Acer's website and no touchscreen driver is listed. (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6960?b=1)
I checked with Microsoft and they don't have it either.
I tried "Driver Easy" to see if it could locate and download the driver, but it didn't have it either.

I've also just noticed that there is no longer an option to go into tablet mode, which is why I chose this model.

Does anyone know where I can find and download the HID-Compliant Touch Screen driver so I can enable the touchscreen?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210601061237.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 6 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (579 GB Free);
Motherboard: Acer Stinger_SK UMA, ver V1.08, s/n NBGK91100973009E4E7200
System: Insyde Corp., ver ACRSYS - 0, s/n NXGK9AA028732007197200
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
Welcome!

i assume this laptop is about 5+ years old? And supposedly this machine is registered to some company.

the reasonI ask about the age is that Itoo don’t see much drivers.

Do you see any device for the HId? If so, please find the VEN and DEV numbers in the Hardware tab.
If you can’t, then I suspect that the touch component is now defective.

Shadowsden89

Hello, no, the laptop is almost 3 years old... I purchased it June 6, 2018 and started using it a couple weeks later.

It's an Acer so I imagine it's registered with them. I did have a warranty however it expired after a year.

What device specifically do you mean? There are a quite a lot of HID drivers... Here's a screen cap of my device manager showing all the HID drivers, including hidden "ghost" drivers.

As you can see, the HID-compliant touch screen driver is no longer there.

Screenshot 2021-06-02 211530.png

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Did this happen after an update? If so can you remember which update?
Have you downloaded the Acer software to automatically check for drivers?
Is the BIOS up to date?
Is there any Tablet mode icon under Action centre?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
If you boot to the BIOS can you use the touchscreen there?
If not then the hardware may have failed.
Run the Hardware & devices troubleshooter: Type Troubleshoot under search & choose Hardware & devices & then click troubleshoot.
Right click Start>Powershell with admin & enter: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
Then go to device management, scan for hardware changes & see if the Touchscreen is listed, if so you can either try updating/installing the drivers or uninstall it then scan for hardware changes.
If you uninstall the touchscreen driver then restart the PC & go back to device manager & scan for hardware changes again to reinstall the driver.

Is the KB4480116 update installed as this can affect touchscreen devices? If yes then try uninstalling it.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
More suggestions:
Search the device for Calibrate the screen for pen and touch input, once on the settings choose setup & then touch input & retest the touchscreen.
If that doesn’t work then Click Start>Run & enter regedit, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch & change the Touchgate value to 1 then restart the PC & test the touchscreen.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Also check under Mice & Other pointing devices for a USB touchscreen controller.
If it’s listed then try updating the driver or reinstalling the current one.

Shadowsden89

UPDATE: The touchscreen and tablet mode are back!! :giggle: (but now I'm having HDMI external display issues. :confused:)

After doing another reset and buying and trying Driver Easy to see if it would fix the driver, I was ready to give up and just use this laptop with reduced capabilities until I could buy a new one, however, my laptop developed HDMI external display issues and in my search to repair that, I actually fixed the touchscreen and tablet mode issue.

I was messing around with display settings to get the external display to work...the laptop starts to send the display over to the external monitor, but then goes white. When nothing seemed to work, I went into Device Manager and noticed that there was an "unknown device" listed. I did not see this before... I don't know if I just missed it, or if popped back up after another reset and using Driver Easy.

Anyway, I vaguely remembered something about drivers showing up as unknown in the past and to fix it, I just needed to uninstall the driver and restart the laptop.

So I did that and it turns out, it was the touchscreen driver! The driver is back where it needs to be.

Screenshot 2021-06-06 160156.png

However, this did not solve the external display issue so if anyone has an idea on how to fix that, I would appreciate the help!

You can see that the laptop recognizes that there is a display hooked up, and the tv shows the HDMI2 icon, but the screen is all white. When I restart the laptop and plug it back in, it'll show the screen for a moment or two, but goes back to white quickly. I have also tried different orientations and modes (duplicate and extend.)

IMG_20210606_155625.jpgIMG_20210606_155916.jpg

Shadowsden89

Also, I have tried other HDMI cords - same issue. I have also hooked up my work laptop and it does not have this issue so it is definitely an issue with my acer.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Glad to hear the touchscreen is back working.
Are you choosing project to second screen? (Love the wallpaper btw - a big 9th Doctor fan here).

Shadowsden89

Glad to hear the touchscreen is back working.
Are you choosing project to second screen? (Love the wallpaper btw - a big 9th Doctor fan here).
I tried project as well both with both duplicate and extend and same issue.

Thanks, I found this beautiful fanart somewhere (can't remember where) and had to set it to my wallpaper. I love every reiteration of The Doctor... but 11 is my favorite. I just love him... he's a baby corgi. :giggle:

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Is your other laptop a touchscreen also?
As the problem remains when you connect via HDMI then ensure the graphics card driver is up to date.

My love of Doctor Who began with the 4th Doctor.

Shadowsden89

Is your other laptop a touchscreen also?
As the problem remains when you connect via HDMI then ensure the graphics card driver is up to date.

My love of Doctor Who began with the 4th Doctor.
Yes, my work laptop is another touchscreen - but that one is a chromebook.

The connection via HDMI was working today for my Acer...however, the touchscreen is back down. So it looks like there might be some hardware degrading going on. :(

Screenshot 2021-06-08 021301.png

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online