hid services problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blh102444

I have a Gateway system and was having no problem with the keyboard but decided to go to a cordless key board and mouse. On the Microsoft keyboard that I installed all of the hot keys work accept for the volume control. Microsoft tech suggested several things to try. One thing they told me to try that I could not make work is as follows. They told me to make sure that HID input services was running. It will not start when you try to start it. An error message says "Error 2 The system cannot find the file specified".They told me to extract it form the Windows installation disk and it shows that it was extracted and is in the drivers file but I continue to get the same error message. Microsoft tech and Gateway tech both say they cannot help me further. Can anyone help me please?

Would it be the HIDSERV.DLL file? If so, double check that it is in the C:\windows\system32 directory.

Considering that you extracted it to the drivers folder, unless someone at Microsoft gave you incorrect instructions, it was probably hidclass.sys, hidgame.sys, or hidparse.sys.

If you can see those files in the drivers folder, our next step is to see if they are loading correctly. Are they there?

blh102444

To clear up my first post. I extracted the file hidserv.dll from my windows disk to c:\windows\system32\drivers. I just checked and the file is listed under system 32. When I go to (run) services.msc and try to start it I get the message"Cannot start the HID input service on local computer.Error2: the system cannot find the file specified". Hope I explained it better Thanks for your patience

They shouldn't have told you to put that file in the drivers folder. But it does belong in system32. Is that the display name of the service, "HID Input Service"?

Check for the hid***.sys drivers in the driver folder.

Is it a USB keyboard? Do you have Intellitype installed?

blh102444

Yes the display name in services is HID input service. the following files are listed in a winzip file under driver folder in another folder i386
hidswvd.sys
hidgame.sys
hidusb.sys
hidparse.sys
hidbat.sys
hidclass.sys

Let's leave the services for a moment. Take a look at the free IntelliType software for management of Microsoft mice and keyboards. It will give you some increased control and functionality, even if it doesn't solve the immediate problem. See if your hardware is listed (though this software is pretty generic for all MS input products):

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

It is easily uninstalled if you decide not to use it.

blh102444

In Checking I find that this the software that came with the keyboard. I reinstalled it again with no success in solving the problem.

Have you tried to put this "hidserv.dll" in the system32 folder instead ?
(Not the drivers folder)

blh102444

I put the hidserv.dll in c:\windows\system32 but the result was the same "cannot find the specified file error message". Thanks again.

blh102444

I reinstalled from safe modeand also Microsoft had me do what they rffered to as a clean boot thu msconfig. Neither one solved the problem. thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online