Hidden commands on Word "record macro" function?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dottyeyes

Hi,
I'm trying to take a heavily edited Word 2010 document and copy and paste all the tracked changes (insertions and deletions) into a separate document, simply to know the extent of the editing I have to do. I am editing a revision of a textbook, and I'm only supposed to edit the changes from the first edition. I need to know the exact word count of material that needs to be edited so that I can estimate my time and charges.

No "find" function can find inserted or deleted words. You have to use the "Review," "Next change" (or Alt + -> buttons).

I'm trying to record a macro that will do this:
  1. Find the next change in Document 1
  2. Copy the change, and paste it into Document 2
  3. Return to Document 1, and then find the next change.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the end of Document 1.
When I record my steps, the macro code doesn't show the "Find next change" step. So when I try to run the macro, it tells me to select text first.

Here is the VBA string I created just by having Word follow my clicks, but it doesn't show the first steps I did, which was "Go to next change."

Two questions:
1. Is there any way to code for "Go to next change"?
2. If I temporarily add some unique text (e.g., PineapplesinHawaii) to the end of the document, how do I tell the macro to run until it reaches that text?

Thank you from a literate editor but an illiterate coder! :confused:
Sub Go_to_next_change()
'
' Go_to_next_change Macro
'
'
Selection.Copy
Windows(2).Activate
Windows(1).Activate
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatOriginalFormatting)
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Selection.Copy
Windows(2).Activate
Windows(1).Activate
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatOriginalFormatting)
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
End Sub

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online