1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hidden email account

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by yammyman, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yammyman

yammyman Thread Starter

First, I wanted to let everyone know about a good site that I found. It is KELLY'S KORNER.COM ...It has lots of great windows tweaks. Worth the visit. I wanted to ask if it is possible to hide an email account on a machine from other users of that machine. How could i find it if it is there?

thanks

yammy

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

do these other users have to log in and are they admin ?

the simple thing would be to have other users which do not have admin facility

with admin any one could find outlook / outlook express

or have a web based email like Gmail which they and you would need a username and password to access

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Many ISP's also offer the ability to check you email on the web so you could not setup the account in an email client like Outlook Express.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I would not be surprised if someone had come up with an e-mail client that could run directly from a USB thumb drive and never have a need to create or modify any files on the host PC's hard drive.

EDIT: I just read JohnWill's post. Looks like it has all ready been done. :)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

U3 FLASH drives have that capability. You can run email, web browsing, and many other applications, and never leave a trace on the host machines.

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

7. yammyman

yammyman Thread Starter

Yes, admin can make a difference. If one user has privaliges and another does not, then the hasnot user will never be able to see any web based email files that have been created on the local machine by the mail server transaction while under admin. But, they will still be there. I guess my specific question is: Do all web based email services leave behind some sort of (fingerprints) on a local machine? I know that yahoo,hotmail and aim/aol all do.

yammy

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Well the site address would be left in the History and it may leave a cookie but someone would have to go looking for it and then find your your password. Is there a reason it must be so secret/hidden?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/532535