1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hidden file

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ford, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ford

ford Thread Starter

Does Microsoft have a hidden file within computer that logs every thing that is done or seen on that computer? If so how do i get to it and read it?

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

There is no such file.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    There are hidden files named index.dat that will keep a history of where you've been on the net. There is a nice little free tool called Spider that allows you to see the contents and clean them if necessary.

You can get Spider <a href=http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6481,00.asp> here</a>.

5. ford

ford Thread Starter

Bryan i used spider but there was nothing there, i know every thing has been deleted and system restore has been used a few times. Ihave tryed an un delete program but the results were very poor. Any ideas on how to find it all? Thanks to all who have tryed to help.

6. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Just what are you looking for? If the computer has been reinstalled several times, you'll never find out exactly everything that has ever been done on the computer in the past.

7. ford

ford Thread Starter

Max19 i am looking for past internet use. I know nothing about computers but realise their complexities, which leads me to think that i must be able to find the information some where. Any ideas?Finding some of the information would be better than nothing. Thanks for checking in on my post again.

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If the PCs hardrive was formatted and Windows was reinstalled, then your not going to find anything from the past. Unfortunately it's gone and you won't be successful recovering any of it at this point.

9. ford

ford Thread Starter

Bryan I am really going to show my ignorance now but is that what Windows system restore does, reformat the disk and reinstall Windows? All I know is that the things have been deleted in the ordinary Windows way and system restore has
    been used a few times. Does that make it impossible to find?
    Thanks.

10. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

It's impossible.

11. ford

ford Thread Starter

:( That's so frustrating!

12. hewee

hewee

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice