hidden file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ford

Does Microsoft have a hidden file within computer that logs every thing that is done or seen on that computer? If so how do i get to it and read it?

Bryan

Bryan
There are hidden files named index.dat that will keep a history of where you've been on the net. There is a nice little free tool called Spider that allows you to see the contents and clean them if necessary.

You can get Spider <a href=http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6481,00.asp> here</a>.

ford

Bryan i used spider but there was nothing there, i know every thing has been deleted and system restore has been used a few times. Ihave tryed an un delete program but the results were very poor. Any ideas on how to find it all? Thanks to all who have tryed to help.

Max19

Account Disabled
Just what are you looking for? If the computer has been reinstalled several times, you'll never find out exactly everything that has ever been done on the computer in the past.

ford

Max19 i am looking for past internet use. I know nothing about computers but realise their complexities, which leads me to think that i must be able to find the information some where. Any ideas?Finding some of the information would be better than nothing. Thanks for checking in on my post again.

Bryan

Bryan
If the PCs hardrive was formatted and Windows was reinstalled, then your not going to find anything from the past. Unfortunately it's gone and you won't be successful recovering any of it at this point.

ford

Bryan I am really going to show my ignorance now but is that what Windows system restore does, reformat the disk and reinstall Windows? All I know is that the things have been deleted in the ordinary Windows way and system restore has
been used a few times. Does that make it impossible to find?
Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online

No members online now.