hidden files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cubbycuddly

Hi,

I have found a virus affecting the EXPLORER file in the c:\windows folder. My antivirus found this file but could not disinfect it because the folder it said was compressed.

I have looked at the c:\windows folder and seen at the bottom it says 437 objects plus 22 hidden. I'm not sure why it says that 22 are hidden. How can I unhide these 22? would this be why my antivirus says it is compressed?

cubbycuddly

No. Compressed means it might have a .cab extension possibly in this case. Compressed and Hidden are two diferent matters.

What are the details please? the name of the file and infection.

Hidden folders and files can be unhidden, but they appear dimmer when you view their icons.

To view all files go to Folder Options>View and select Show all files.

cubbycuddly

Hi

The virus is W95/CIH1003 and the file is Windows/Explorer.

I have used titanium antivirus panda which disinfected the file, whilst scanning in DOS mode. Though when I did another scan afterwards in Windows the same file was found with the virus again which could not be cleaned as it said that the file/folder was compressed.

cubbycuddly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online