1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hidden folder $NtServicePackUninstall$ is missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deejay1357, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deejay1357

deejay1357 Thread Starter

Hey Tech Support Guys,

I need to uninstall SP2 on my Windows XP Pro Dell Inspiron 700m machine. Problem is, "Windows XP Service Pack 2" does not appear in the "Add/Remove Program" area, AND the entire hidden folder containing the uninstallation EXE file, $NtServicePackUninstall$, is missing in my Windows folder.

I DO have the following folders:

$NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$
    $NtServicePackUninstallNLSDownlevelMapping$

and they each contain a folder called "spuninst", which in both cases contain four files:

spuninst.exe
    spuninst.inf
    spuninst.txt
    updspapi.dll

I'm assuming on XP machines where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder is not missing, it contains these same four files, only they're targeted to remove the entire service pack rather than just one component of it like the above two folders seem like they'd do.

Is there anywhere I can download the missing folder and the files it contains?

If not, could I perhaps reinstall SP2 overtop of my current installation, in the hopes that it would regenerate the missing $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder? Or is reinstalling SP2 overtop an existing installation just a recipe for disaster?

Sigh. Windows.

Deejay

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Is it not in the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel

Make sure that at the top Show Updates box is checked first

3. deejay1357

Thanks for the reply bonk.

Unfortunately it's not listed in the Add/Remove Programs area of the control panel, even with the Updates checkbox checked.

I just read something about many computers shipping with SP2 fully integrated with XP, and in these cases it's supposedly impossible to uninstall SP2 because there's nothing to go back to.

Is this true?

It would explain why the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder is missing. But it's also a huge bummer because the only way to really fix the Airport network connection problem is to get rid of SP2.

Thoughts?

D

4. bonk

bonk Banned

I would image there would be away to get SP2 off but how difficult and successful ....well

Your is a strange request to remove SP2.......but if anybody knows it will probably be here.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you're out of luck. Since that folder contains all the files that were replaced by the newer SP2 files, it would be "Mission Impossible" to sort it all out. In addition, since the uninstall is missing from Add/Remove Programs, my guess is some previous "clean-up" removed it.

Of course, the other possibility is that XP was installed with SP2 already on the disk, all of my installs are done that way.

What is the real problem you're trying to solve, I can't imagine applications that require you to uninstall SP2, something smells wrong here.

6. Augie65

Augie65

7. deejay1357

Thanks JohnWill and Augie65!

> What is the real problem you're trying to solve, I can't imagine applications
    > that require you to uninstall SP2, something smells wrong here.

The real problem is the inability of my Dell Inspiron 700m with Windows XP Pro SP2 to connect to an Airport network.

If I set my Intel Pro/Wireless 2915ABG network card to accept the DHCP on the Airport, I don't get a proper IP address in the 10.0.1.1 addressing and 255.255.255.0 subnet that the Airport uses. Instead, the network card registers an IP of 169.254.67.199, a subnet of 255.255.0.0, and no Gateway or DNS servers, and though I'm apparently connected at 11.0Mbps with 5 bars of signal strength, I get the "Limited or No Connectivity" message.

If I bypass the DHCP and assign a static IP of 10.0.1.5, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 10.0.1.1, and either A) DNS1=10.0.1.1 DNS2=blank or B) DNS1=from ISP DNS2=from ISP, then I apprently connect at 11.0Mbps with 5 bars of signal strength, and I even get the "Connected" message, but my network card doesn't go the one step further and actually communicate with the Internet. I can't browse, email, or ping.

So I read that the problem is with SP2, and that if you uninstall it, you can connect to any airport network. Hence my attempt to uninstall SP2, just to see if it worked.

> If you are setting up using AirPort Extreme, then it is designed to use Windows XP SP2.
    > AirPort Extreme Setup Guide

Interstingly enough, Augie65, I've gotten the same behaviour with both an Airport Express, AND one of the old model Airport Extremes (the conical one, not the new flat one, which we'll be getting soon and will hopefully solve the problem).

But you're saying that all Airport Extremes should work with XP SP2? I read the document you linked to, and saw that I could install an Airport Setup Assistant on my PC. Maybe that would help. Unfortunately, the installation CD is missing, and I've searched the Web for a downloadable version to no avail.

Hmmm...

D

8. Augie65

Augie65

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice