1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hidden USB drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by san4o, Oct 11, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. san4o

san4o Thread Starter

Hi! Ordered ChipsBnk 2TB USB drive and when I got it, I started putting files on it, but when I tried to open the files, it showed that it need formatting. I changed from FAT32 to NTFS and uncheked fast format. Unfortunately I had to run and put my laptop on sleep before it ended (but I think it was actually stuck from the beggining anyway). After I got back, I tried to format it, but it did not respond. Took it out and put it back in, and now it shows only as hidden and I can not do anything with it. I can see it in device manager, but uninstalling/disabling/updating does not help. Tried also EaseUS partition master, but it does not see the USB drive, although if I remove it or insert it back while EaseUS is open, then it ask if I want to update disk information. Any ideas?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    If it's a 2TB Usb stick it's probably a fake, if it's an external Usb hard drive maybe not.

Is it a stick or a drive and how much did you pay for it ?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    42 ChipsBank USB sticks shown on Alibaba
    https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/chipsbank-flash-disk.html
    I think this is the largest I've seen
    A wooden encased USB stick in a wooden box, with a size of 1TB for at most $29!!! No way.

https://www.myce.com/news/aware-fake-2tb-usb-sticks-amazon-can-cause-data-loss-83202/

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Maybe he means 2 GB instead of 2 TB

5. san4o

san4o Thread Starter

https://www.wish.com/product/5b5452e754420b1a3f7327ff
    2TB USB stick. Pile of reviews that it's working. It showed 1.9 TB the first time I put it in. Is it possible I ruined it with putting my laptop on sleep in the middle of formatting? How long actually should formatting even go? (quick formatting unchecked)

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    It's a fake. Post a link to reviews that say it works.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most reviews for fake products are just as fake as the products themselves.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Exactly, that's why I asked for a link.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    $16 for a 2TB USB stick is dead giveaway it's fake junk regardless of what nay reviews says. These devices simply report a fake size but contain a much smaller size that tends to overwrite itself to seem bigger in some cases.

Here's a video that explains it:

11. san4o

san4o Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys, so I was just scamed and did not ruin it myself :D As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice