1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hidden Users (Administrator) Folders

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Contessah, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Contessah

Contessah Thread Starter

My computer programs wrong user as primary administrator. I have hidden administrator user at the bottom of my folders tree that don't show up under "User Account". They are Donnattela (wrong spelling), Neutral User, and Public User. Starting with desktop, then Donnatella (my main folder) with documents, pictures, etc. in it, then C:\ and then down the line of other folders, past Recycle Bin - to "Users" at the bottom but hidden, on the bottom of my "tree" of files....there are hidden Users. In my user accounts in Control Panel there is only "Donnatella" (spelled correctly) and Guest user, then in a hidden "Users" Donnattela (misspelled) folder at the bottom of folders tree, everything is copied to that folder first then duplicated to my main folder. These users have "authorizations" and Donnattela (misspelled user) is programmed as C:\Donnattela (with all my folders in it that are up above in my "Donnatella" user account) - and all my savings go into it. It duplicates into my properly named file Donnatella (correct spelling) above it on desktop aka "My Documents" folder. Is that usual? Shouldn't everything automatically be saved into the desktop "My Folders" aka "Donnatella"? Not in hidden Users not even in User account? It's complicated but very important. Why do I have duplicate "Donnatella/Donnattela folders? I didn't program it. a friend did. Any replies? Can you understand problem?

2. moper

moper

Not sure I completely understand the problem, but I believe you are just seeing Windows Explorer's 'customized view'. The folders are not duplicated, but just Windows way of displaying things for quicker access. I can't explain the spelling error.

To check, install a free alternative file manager:
    http://www.mucommander.com/
    http://www.freecommander.com/

I have used both and they work fine. With these, you will not get any 'customized views'. Free Commander has a portable version, if you do not want to install anything.

moper

3. pip22

pip22

"Not sure I completely understand the problem"

You can say that again, the OP lost me completely after the first line!

All I can add is, if Windows is actually working okay don't go looking for what you think are problems!

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think the "Wrong Spelling" one, the account was deleted but not the files that were made to go with it.
    As for some of the others, may be a translation difference for Default and All Users.
    The OP has not stated what OS, as it could be Vista or Windows 7 as they both user the "Users" folder.

Maybe a screen shot would help!

5. echo_off

echo_off

that hidden administrator account that you found out, to use it as a normal account and login to it as normal, just go into CMD as admin and type:
    and your done.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What happened is your friend mispelt the user name as Donnattela with one L instead of two. Then, instead of creating a new account with the correct spelling, they went to Control Panel | User Accounts and used the Change my account name option to correct the spelling.

See the attached screenshot.
    C:\Users\TheOutcaste is my profile folder (circled in red). This is the real folder.
    I changed the account name to TheOutcast, removing the last E. You see that spelling at the top of the navigation pane, circled in blue. This is just a shortcut to the real folder. It will display everything that is in C:\Users\TheOutcaste. It's not a second copy, just another way to access the folder.

Using the Change my account name option does not change the name of the profile folder, nor does it change the Account Name; those can't be changed. It only changes the Display Name, the name that shows on the Welcome Screen, Start Menu, the shortcut on the navigation pane, and in User Accounts.

You can use either the Display Name or the Account Name to log in. You can verify this in a Command Prompt:
    Click Start, type cmd, press Enter
    Type Set User and press Enter.
    You'll get this:
    USERDOMAIN=JerryLaptop
    USERNAME=TheOutcaste
    USERPROFILE=C:\Users\TheOutcaste

Even though the Welcome Screen and User Accounts now show my user name as TheOutcast, the system still has it listed as TheOutcaste.
    In your case, you'll see this, with the incorrect spelling:
    USERNAME=Donnattela
    USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Donnattela

(USERDOMAIN is the PC name)

The Default Users and All Users are junction points, which is why they have the shortcut arrow overlay on their icon. These are present for compatibility with programs written for XP, as they changed some folder names.
    XP's C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder is now C:\Users\Default, and XP's C:\Documents and Settings\All Users folder is now C:\ProgramData. These junction points allow programs not written for Vista and later versions of Windows to be able to find the new locations.

These are normally hidden. If you haven't seen them before, then you've likely changed the View settings.
    To change View Settings to show hidden and system files:
    In Windows Explorer, click on Organize | Folder and Search Options -> View tab
    Check the following:

• Show hidden files and folders
    Uncheck the following:

• Hide extensions for known file types
    • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    .Reverse the above to hide system and hidden files.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice