1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hide formula, but allow content change in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by izml, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. izml

izml Thread Starter

Is there any way to hide the formulas on a spreadsheet, but still allow people to put in new values for the cells? The "Hide" formula and "Protect" spreadsheet command seems to prohibit any changes to the document. We are interested in putting this excel worksheet onto a web page and would like people to put in their own values, but would not like to let people have access to the formulas. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

In the first place, I might be barking up the wrong tree. In the second, I can't speak for XL2K2 which is more sophisticated when it comes to protection. But I'm intrigued by

>> "Hide" formula and "Protect" spreadsheet command
    >> seems to prohibit any changes to the document

Generally speaking, all cells are locked by default. You can remove this for all (CTRL+A) thru Format -- Cells -- Protection. Then you can relock for the cells you want to protect, *and* set your formula cells as hidden.

But you should be aware that worksheet protection is by no means bulletproof -- there's code all over the web to break it.

HTH,
    Andy

3. izml

izml Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and help, Andy. I didn't realize that you can choose to lock or unlock certain cells. So yes, unlocking all the cells and then only locking/hiding the cells with formulas seem to work great. So there's even code to break a password used for worksheet protection, eh? I'll keep the security vulnerabilities in mind. Thanks also for your quick response!

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Andy, I thought it was you some time back that passed along the nifty shortcut of RIGHT CLICKING the blank gray box to the left of column A ( you probably know it's name - I do not ) and hitting FORMAT.

If it wasn't - I just did ! ;)

- C

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> Andy, I thought it was you some time back ...

<bg>, I can't remember. You'd know full well that it's the Select All button *if* you'd added a copy of the Context Sensitive Help (AKA "What's This?") button to one of your "always-on" toolbars. Y'know, the "thick black pointer next to a questionmark" one. It's invaluable, IMO.

Best rgds,
    Andy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice