1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hide Hardrive Windows Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by williammit, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. williammit

williammit Thread Starter

I have 3 harddrives on my computer. I am running windows xp pro. My question is how can i hide 2 of the harddrives from others that log on without administrator priveleges?

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

There may be a setting you can change in group policy, but what i'd suggest is getting Tewak UI and hiding them with that, you may have to hide the shirtcut so the other users don't see them.

3. williammit

I found teh Tweak UI (thanks by the way), butttttttttttttttttt, when i try to install it it says " The procedure entry point getdlldirectoryw could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll " Now im lost what i need to delete, install, or work on to get the tweak ui to work.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you try to install this version of TweakUI on a pre-SP1 Windows XP machine, you'll trigger a truly user-friendly error message that says "The procedure entry point GetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL". No, I don't make this stuff up. Yes, that's the only indication you'll receive that you tried to install TweakUI 2.10 on an original Windows XP machine.

If you haven't yet installed WinXP Service Pack 1, Microsoft appears to have ripped out the old version, and replaced it entirely with this new version. So DON'T uninstall your current copy of TweakUI unless you're absolutely sure you have Windows XP Service Pack 1. (Click Start | My Documents | Help | About Windows and if you have SR-1, it'll say so clearly on the Version line.)

(Hacking note: if you don't want to install SP-1, and you need a copy of TweakUI version 2.00.1.0, at this moment you can download the older version from places like this . Chances are good Microsoft will slam the WebAttack people as soon as this issue of WWW hits the stands, so if you try that site and can't find TweakUI 2.00.1.0, use Google to search for "tweakui 2.00". There are many other pirate copies of the old version floating around the Web.)

To get the new TweakUI, go to the old Windows PowerToys site here and look on the right for the icon that says "Tweak UI". At the top of the PowerToys Web page you'll note that Microsoft says it was last updated on April 23, 2002. Horsefeathers. Don't be confused. This really is where you get the new version. If you read the fine print on the Web page under TweakUI, you'll see that it references version 2.10.0.0, and warns you very obliquely that you must have WinXP Service Pack 1 (or Windows 2003) installed.

The TweakUI installer, called TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe, will require you to uninstall the older version of TweakUI manually before it will install this new version. To get rid of the old version, click Start | Control Panel, double-click on Add or Remove Programs. Scroll down to the entry for Tweakui Powertoy for Windows XP, and click Remove. Once the old version is out, the new version will install like a champ.

Oh. One foible worth noting. TweakUI (in all its versions) has a weird default setting for the X-Mouse option. If you go into Mouse | X-Mouse and turn on the X-Mouse behavior - where running your mouse over a window automatically activates the window - you should set the default time delay to something other than zero. With a zero time delay, it's deucedly difficult to get any real work done.

Cut and paste from:

http://www.woodyswatch.com/windows/archtemplate.asp?6-10

5. williammit

Ok I checked my version of windows and it says this "Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpclnt_qfe.021108-2107)" so that shows pre sp 1 right? but in add remove it shows i have the sp1 packet loaded ?

6. ~Candy~

Help, about should show SP1 installed too. I'm not on an XP machine right now to verify....are you running HOME or Pro?

7. williammit

Pro. I just downloaded the sp2 i think it was and installed it.. then i got the same error. and yeah i rebooted. :(

8. ~Candy~

I'm wondering if you can try installing in safe mode......or whether it may have written something to the registry that needs to be fixed........

9. williammit

ill try that next. will get back to you!

10. williammit

Nope didnt work. :(

11. ~Candy~

Well, crap, I don't know what else to try. Perhaps others will have some ideas short of a sledgehammer :(

12. Coach E

Coach E

U may want to do what he said earlier and search google for tweakui and download the Xp version of it instead of the one on microsofts site :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice