Hide infrequently used programs on Start Menu in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wausau99

I am running Windows XP Pro. Can anyone tell me how to hide the programs that I infrequently use in the start menu? I have used this function with Win 2000 at work and assume it is possible in XP Pro.

Start/programs, R click the application you wish to hide, L click properties, and at the bottom in "Attributes" check off "hidden"/apply/ok. Reboot if prompted.

Edit: Hi Neighbor! :)

Attachments

wausau99

Thanks Cookies, but this will keep these programs hidden all of the time. What I am looking for is the setting that will automatically hide the programs in the Start Menu if you do not use them alot, but you will be able to find them in the menu if needed.

Miz

If I understand correctly, you want to reduce, or eliminate, the number of programs displayed in the part of the Start Menu that appears right above the "All Programs" button.

If I've understood correctly, check out the methods outlined on this TechTV page.

wausau99

Acually, I want to reduce the number of programs that appear when I click on "All Programs". I am looking for a setting in Windows XP Pro that is like the "Use Personalized Menus" in Windows 2000. What this feature does is hides the programs that you do not frequently use but are still available by clicking on an arrow to expand the list to include the infrequenly used programs, if needed. Thanks

You might also try Start/run and type in "gpedit.msc". Navigate to Admin templates/Start menu and taskbar.

There are 4 options in the right pane I see that may suit your needs (while they're not precisely what you hope to accomplish).

Highlight them in the right pane, and a description will appear just left of it.

Attachments

wausau99,
Right click on the task bar -> Properties -> Start Menu tab -> Classic Start Menu -> Customize -> Scroll All the way to the bottom and check Use Personalized Menus

--Tehon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online