Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hide/remove "My network places" on Win 2000 Desktop?

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  vookster82 
#1 ·
Hello there, I'm looking for ways of getting rid of the "My network places" icon a Windows 2000 Pro desktop. On my administrator account i have the icon like I'm supposed to...but i have another user account on this computer that i dont want to have it just sitting there on the other persons desktop saying "click me click me, come and play with me" (Due to minor network security issues at the moment).
I think the progy TweakUI will do this for me...but im looking for a nice easy CLEAN way of going about this. (and i may have to do this to several computers also) But ofcourse any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated as usuall. Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
Start > Run > type: gpedit.msc press enter.
expand User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Desktop.
on the right pane, u'll find "Hide My Network Places icon on desktop" .. double click it and enable it.

there u go

#4 ·
Hey thanks again, just out of curiosity....how would i set it up if i wanted to keep the icon on my admin desktop and not the others desktop. If it matters, i dont have any group policy settings or anything done yet....i just got done doing a clean install. Hope to catch ya later. :eek:

EDIT: Basically, i need a way for me to see my workgroup computers easily...just as if i where clicking on the my network places icon....but keeping the same policy in place where the other user cant. If that makes any sense. sorry, im not good with networking stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.