1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hiding names of IE links

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Richard_Johnson, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richard_Johnson

Richard_Johnson Thread Starter

I use IE5.5 with Win98SE. I find the "Links" bar very handy for quick access to my most frequently used Favorites. I like to have all my "Links" visible, so I don't have to click the >> continuation symbol. Since I've assigned a permanent icon to each such link, I don't need to see their names, and not seeing the names would enable me to squeeze in many more links.

Is there any way of hiding the names of these Links?

2. thejay

thejay

3. thejay

thejay

Seriously,
    the only thing i can think of is making up a one letter or symbol for the page because IE has to have some kind of name (symbol) for the link

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Expanding on what thejay said.

Choose Favorites, Organize Favorites. When the Organize Favorites window opens, locate the URL to which you want to assign keys and right-click it. Choose Properties and then click the Internet Shortcut tab when the dialog box opens. Click in the entry box labeled Shortcut Key. Type in the letter you'd like to use as your keystroke.
    Note that you need only enter the letter of choice--the program will complete the keystrokes by adding Ctrl-Alt. So, if you type A, the entry will become Ctrl-Alt-A. Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.
    Now you can simply press Ctrl-Alt-A to navigate to the selected site. If you're not connected when you press Ctrl-Alt-A, Microsoft Internet Explorer 3 will open, dial the ISP, and navigate to the site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!