1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hiding "Your system may be at risk" message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chrisrichardson, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisrichardson

chrisrichardson Thread Starter

The thing constantly appears at the bottom right corner of my screen.

I'm not the original PC owner (was second hand) so I'm not sure about the origins of the software.

However, I'm not interested, and would like to hide this message.

When I visit the site it sends me to, it won't let me select the option to simply hide it.

It will only let me either:
    -install some software (which I don't want to do)
    -make messages appear

Any help appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

2. HEdwards2008

HEdwards2008

You would only get this message for one of three reasons:
    1. You do not have an Anti-virus or malware program that is installed that meets the HAL for Windows
    2. You have disabled or turned off Automatic Updates to below the Automatic setting.
    3. You do not have the Windows Firewall enabled or have a 3rd party firewall installed.

For options 1 and 3, you can usually click on the balloon and it will bring up the Windows Security Center and then there will be a link that says "I have a program that I will monitor on my own" which will bring up a checkbox that you will need to check.

If that doesn't help then let us know.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2

to HEdwards2008
    I have my Automatic Updates turned to manual and I don't get any nag messages.
    to chrisrichardson
    As stated by HEdwards, check and correct 1 and 3 if necessary.I would personally use a third party firewall and antivirus. Many good free ones to consider.

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

I would follow their suggestion, also to ensure the pc is clean of spyware since you say it is secondhand one of the first things i would do is a clean install of windows. That way you know there are not any surprises hiding in the system for you.

5. Support4U

Support4U

Hi new tech guy,
    i agree with Hrlow2's suggestion for your issue.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Is this a legit version of XP?

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

Hello support and what does the legitness of the operating system have to do with the problem whitphil? This error either means the os is out of date or it is missing an antvirus or firewall.

8. HEdwards2008

HEdwards2008

The legitimaty of the OS actually does have potential to cause this to happen. If it is a copy of the OS that is using a blacklisted COA (Certificate of Authenticity) then it could certainly be prompting you with this as a factor of it being blacklisted.

9. new tech guy

new tech guy

It would prompt this for windows update? wga is what controls that, not the security center.

10. chrisrichardson

chrisrichardson Thread Starter

I'm not doing a full reinstallation as it was obtained from a friend, and I have no doubts about it having malicious software installed etc.

I'm running updated AVG Antivirus and Zonealarm Firewall, but still getting the popup.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Posted via Mobile Device
    so when you click on the balloon popup does it take you to the security center

12. Support4U

Support4U

GO TO
    Control Paner>>Security Center>>Under Firewall options>>Clicl Recomendations
    if u have a firewall other than windows firewall in use select
    >>I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself >>OK
    else select Turn on Windows Firewall for all Network connections by clicking Enable now

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're definitely assuming a certain level of risk by continuing to use a computer that may be infected with malware. You might want to rethink your approach.

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

Could just need to be updated here with windows update.

15. Kilertas

Kilertas

Try downloading Service Pack 3

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803077