1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High CPU usage - task manager culprit

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by OllyN, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

Im not sure im posting this in right section so if not please move it where it belongs :)

Recently I started noticing that fan on my laptop is working more than it should, even when im not doing anything and don't have any programs running. I think its been the case even before, I just never paid enough attention unfortunately.

At first I thought it might be updates since I have had problems downloading some so system kept trying, but each time I would bring task manager up to see what's going on, all I would see is high CPU usage, ranging from 80-100% but then dropping to normal - within seconds.
    Didn't think much of it at first, since it would go down to normal cpu values so fast, but started happening more often and each time same - back down to normal within a split of a second.

I searched online and found out that it might be Trojan named Igfxupdate exe but solutions provided didn't help me, since I couldn't find the files to delete (they are supposed to be in Windows\System32 or Windows\SysWOW64). In the end, not even sure that's the case so hopefully - someone here can help?

At the moment I'm keeping task managed open to keep CPU usage down, the only "solution" I have at the moment. I ran AVG's scan, Malwarebytes scan - nothing came up.

I'm on HP Pavillion,
    Win10, upgraded from 8 last year,
    AMD A10-5745M APU
    12GB DDR3L
    AMD Radeon R7 M260

2. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

I just did Microsofts Windows Malicius Software Removal Tool scan - nothing found either.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number and exact product number(P/N) on your HP Pavilion laptop?

Is it being used on a hard flat surface so it can expel hot air properly and not overheat?
    Have you examined the exhaust vents to make sure they're not clogged with dust?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

HP Pavilion 17-f019no Notebook PC
    P/N J8D29EA#UUW

I use laptop on desk, either glass or wood, i do care about it and i dont let it overheat, if im running something more demanding i use extra fan thingy under it. Exhaust vents are ok, I use canned air regularly and laptop is less than 2 yrs old.
    I was thinking about all that but then.... task manager's cpu usage does come down as soon as i open it and fans stop working as much so... its seems to me more like software than hardware issue but its just my opinion and obviously my knowledge is very limited :D

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion 17-f019n0 Notebook PC(J8D29EA)
    Add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

It came with these specs:
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10 GHz quad-core processor
    It has a decent benchmark score of 2774.
    AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphics with 2 GB of dedicated video memory
    It has a decent benchmark score of 680.
    12 GB(8 GB + 4 GB) DDR3-1333 RAM

If you haven't already created or purchased a factory restore disc kit for that notebook, hopefully HP customer support can provide one for you.
    If you have a major issue with that notebook, or if its hard drive dies and needs to be replaced, you'll be glad to have the disc kit.

The Windows 10 upgrade hasn't played well in some notebooks and has caused overheating and battery and other issues.
    Whether that's part of your issue or not, it's impossible to tell from here.

I'm not a fan of AVG and prefer to use the built-in antivirus program(Windows Defender aka Microsoft Security Essentials) that comes in Windows 10.
    What else have you scanned with besides AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

To be honest I regret upgrading to win10 but too late to go back now.
    But I don't really have any issues with it, haven't had overheating problems, or any of those kind of problems. Only this now, with noticing fan working more than it should and upon opening task manager always seeing cpu usage high.

Haven't done any other scans, don't know which ones I should try? I thought having antivirus and Malwarebytes was enough but I've been meaning to get rid of AVG for a while now, too many popup offers. You think I should uninstall it and activate Defender and do scan? Might have better results than AVG.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Personally, I would get rid of AVG and activate Windows Defender(aka Microsoft Security Essentials).
    If you do get rid of AVG, make sure to use its removal tool afterwards so it can find and remove any leftover files and registry entries.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Do the following:

Go here, then click the "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" button to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.
    If you receive a warning that this file is unsafe to download, ignore the warning.
    Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.
    Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.
    Several seconds may pass before the scanning process starts, so be patient.
    Click the "Logfile" button.
    When the log appears, save it.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.
    After you submit the log, close AdwCleaner. If a warning appears, click "Yes".

Download and save and then install the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0.1220
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, it may offer.
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.
    After it's installed, don't do anything with it yet.
    I'll give you complete instructions for setting it up and using it.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm leaving here in about an hour to go to physical therapy and then to work on a computer.
    I'll check back here later today, then we can go from there. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

O no hurry, no worries, I really appreciate all your help! :)
    AVG un-istalled, running defender scan now so... fingers crossed. Ill do other 2 as soon as defender is done :)

10. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

Defender found nothing.

Here's log from Adw

# AdwCleaner v5.033 - Logfile created 08/02/2016 at 19:33:26
    # Updated 07/02/2016 by Xplode
    # Database : 2016-02-07.2 [Server]
    # Operating system : Windows 10 Home (x64)
    # Username : Olivera - 018
    # Running from : C:\Users\Olivera\Desktop\adwcleaner_5.033.exe
    # Option : Scan
    # Support : hxxp://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

Folder Found : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\SweetLabs App Platform
    Folder Found : C:\WINDOWS\SysNative\Tasks\SweetLabs App Platform

***** [ Files ] *****

File Found : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC App Store.lnk

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

Task Found : SweetLabs App Platform

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\Drive\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\lnkfile\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\SweetLabs App Platform
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_AP
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_Start_Menu
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\pokki

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\523w1h8i.default\prefs.js] [Preference] Found : user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Web Search");
    [C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\523w1h8i.default\prefs.js] [Preference] Found : user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "Web Search");

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [1674 bytes] ##########
    # AdwCleaner v5.200 - Logfile created 15/06/2016 at 20:50:36
    # Updated 14/06/2016 by ToolsLib
    # Database : 2016-06-15.1 [Server]
    # Operating system : Windows 10 Home (X64)
    # Running from : C:\Users\Olivera\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
    # Option : Scan
    # Support : https://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

Folder Found : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\SweetLabs App Platform
    Folder Found : C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Pokki
    Folder Found : C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Pokki

***** [ Files ] *****

File Found : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC App Store.lnk
    File Found : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_zdnfarmarcade-a.akamaihd.net_0.localstorage
    File Found : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_zdnfarmarcade-a.akamaihd.net_0.localstorage-journal

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

Task Found : SweetLabs App Platform

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\Drive\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\lnkfile\shell\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Classes\pokki
    Key Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Classes\pokki
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\SweetLabs App Platform
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_AP
    Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_Start_Menu
    Key Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\SweetLabs App Platform
    Key Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_AP
    Key Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_Start_Menu
    Data Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page] - hxxps://startpage-home.com/?s=hp&m=start
    Data Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page Redirect Cache] - hxxps://startpage-home.com/?s=hp&m=start
    Data Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page] - hxxps://startpage-home.com/?s=hp&m=start
    Data Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page Redirect Cache] - hxxps://startpage-home.com/?s=hp&m=start
    Value Found : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run [Pokki]

[C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\523w1h8i.default\prefs.js] Found : user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Web Search");
    [C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\523w1h8i.default\prefs.js] Found : user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "Web Search");
    [C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Homepage] Found : hxxps://startpage-home.com/?s=hp&m=home

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [5117 bytes] - [08/02/2016 20:33:26]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [5190 bytes] ##########

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It looks like you ran scan with an old version 5.033 and then about an hour later with the current version 5.200.

Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.
    Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.
    Several seconds may pass before the scanning process starts, so be patient.
    Click the "Clean" button, then click "OK".
    Allow the cleaning process to finish.
    When it's finished, click "OK" in each window that appears.
    The computer will restart.
    When the log appears during restart, save it.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

Have you installed SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0.1220 yet?
    If you already have, here are instructions for setting it up and using it.

Start SUPERAntiSpyware.
    Click "System Tools".
    Click "Preferences", then uncheck "Run in the background (system tray)", then click "Done".
    Click "Advanced Settings", then uncheck "Follow shortcuts (*.lnk) during scan", then click "OK - Done".
    Click "Click here to check for updates".
    When the definition files have updated, click "OK".
    Click "Scan This Computer", then click "Quick Scan".
    If problems are found during the scan, the number of them will be highlighted in red.
    When the scan is finished, click "Continue".
    Make sure that EVERYTHING in the list is selected, then click "Continue".
    When the removal process is complete, click "Continue".
    If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, do so.
    Start SUPERAntiSpyware again.
    Click "System Tools", then click "Scan Logs".
    Select the most current scan log, then click on its magnifying glass icon so it can open and be viewed, then save it on the desktop.
    Return here, then copy-and-paste its ENTIRE contents here.

12. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

Weird, no idea where that 5.033 came from :x but my fault also I only did scan and didn't do clean yesterday.
    Here it is again, did scan, clean, rebooted and here's log:

# AdwCleaner v5.200 - Logfile created 16/06/2016 at 11:49:56
    # Updated 14/06/2016 by ToolsLib
    # Database : 2016-06-15.2 [Server]
    # Operating system : Windows 10 Home (X64)
    # Running from : C:\Users\Olivera\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
    # Option : Clean
    # Support : https://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\SweetLabs App Platform
    [-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Pokki
    [#] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Pokki

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC App Store.lnk
    [-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_zdnfarmarcade-a.akamaihd.net_0.localstorage
    [-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_zdnfarmarcade-a.akamaihd.net_0.localstorage-journal

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

[-] Task Deleted : SweetLabs App Platform

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\shell\pokki
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\pokki
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Classes\Drive\shell\pokki
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Classes\lnkfile\shell\pokki
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Classes\pokki
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\SweetLabs App Platform
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_AP
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SweetLabs_Start_Menu
    [-] Data Restored : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page]
    [-] Data Restored : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page Redirect Cache]
    [-] Data Restored : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page]
    [-] Data Restored : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page Redirect Cache]
    [-] Value Deleted : HKU\S-1-5-21-1849326311-1118242734-1081158828-1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run [Pokki]

[-] [C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\523w1h8i.default\prefs.js] Deleted : user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Web Search");
    [-] [C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\523w1h8i.default\prefs.js] Deleted : user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "Web Search");
    [-] [C:\Users\Olivera\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Homepage] Deleted : hxxps://startpage-home.com/?s=hp&m=home

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
    :: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [2974 bytes] - [16/06/2016 11:49:56]
    C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [5269 bytes] - [08/02/2016 20:33:26]
    C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S2].txt - [3589 bytes] - [16/06/2016 09:51:25]
    C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S3].txt - [3662 bytes] - [16/06/2016 09:54:05]
    C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S4].txt - [3735 bytes] - [16/06/2016 11:34:39]
    C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S5].txt - [3808 bytes] - [16/06/2016 11:47:59]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [3412 bytes] ##########

SUPERAntiSpyware's log coming up :)

13. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for uploading the scan log.
    It shows 1353 "adware tracking cookies", but nothing more serious.
    I'm going to assume you selected and deleted them all.
    Just to be sure you did, run another "Quick Scan".
    After it's done, submit its log here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You already use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but you may not have it set up and are using it correctly, so here are instructions for doing so.

Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Click "Settings". then click "Detection and Protection".
    Make sure all 3 squares in "Detection Options" are checked.
    Make sure "Treat detections as malware" is selected in both boxes.
    Click "Scan", then select "Threat Scan", then click "Start Scan".
    If it wants to update the definition files first, allow it to do so.
    If problems are found during the scan, the number of "Detected Objects" will be listed.
    When the scan is finished, make sure to select and quarantine EVERYTHING in the list.
    If you're prompted to restart the computer to complete the process, do so.

How is your computer running now, compared to how it was running when you started this thread?

15. OllyN

OllyN Thread Starter

Yes all checked and removed with SUPERAntiSpyware :)
    My settings in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware were same as you told me, did another scan and came up with 0 threats.

I'm not sure that anything changed. I have these 2 screenshots from the other day:
    not doing anything on laptop, no apps or programs running and fan working, not full speed but more than it should for newly rebooted laptop and no programs started

[​IMG]

Few seconds later:

[​IMG]

I'll try to monitor it tomorrow, reboot, not run anything and see if fan wakes up for no apparent reason.
    And just to add, its not for a min or 2 or some limited amount of time, once it starts it doesn't stop/slower down until i open Task manager, then it does within a matter of min.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice