1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High End PC, Low FPS in Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by jj.ustin490, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jj.ustin490

jj.ustin490 Thread Starter

So I am currently running dual AMD RADEON RX480 graphic cards with an intel core i7 6th gen. They run insanely well with any competitive shooter, CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, all over 140 + frames. But the problem is Destiny 2. It can't get past 60 frames in PvE and PvP and in social hubs, it dips down to 30-40 frames. I'm concerned about my pc and I paid quite a lot. I searched up videos on others playing with ONE rx480 and they run the game at 140 fps on high settings. I can barely get to 60 on all medium. If anyone can help me with this issue, I would be very happy.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager , Display Adapter and right click on driver - choose Update.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then go to your GPU vendor web site and see if they have an even newer non-MS-tested driver

3. jj.ustin490

Thanks! I'll try that now

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Do you have the bridge to connect the 2 GPU's together? Is it set in crossfire mode?

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

6. Blu_86

Blu_86

RX 480's do not need a physical bridge to run crossfire that stopped around the HD 7850/7950/7970 era it all goes through the PCIe bus now. If it were me I would test with just one RX480 (actually I would test each separately) and see if you get good FPS for one GPU, and if you do, except not in crossfire it can only mean 1 of 4 things.

1. Your PSU isn't up to the task.

2. You don't have it set up right in the AMD control panel.

3. You have one bad card.

4. You have a bad PCIe slot (or one of your cards isn't seated properly.).

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If that's the case then why do they make the GPU with the crossfire connections on them? My logical thinking says if they didn't need the bridge they wouldn't make the GPU's with the connections. I'm just asking.

That all said; that's some great deductive reasoning and advice given there.

8. Blu_86

Blu_86

They make them for legacy's sake and that you can still use them, sort of like even though some AMD AMD X470/X570 motherboards have CPU 6 pin +4 (that's mostly for overclocking or for 8c/16t CPU's) .. it's just 'still there' even though you really only need the 6 pin. You can use it for higher end crossfire if you wish, and as you may know crossfire and SLI are mostly going by the wayside because of the overall power draw and complexity of the mainboard that needs to be used (and afforded) and the game driver compatibility.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I kind of figured as much.

Thanks again on the knowledge.

10. jj.ustin490

uh, thanks? I'll try that now. The driver update did literally nothing

11. jj.ustin490

HOLY ****! The frames are much, much better now. I disabled crossfire and switched over to my second graphics card and everything is so much better. I think crossfire messes with the system. Thanks guys!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice