1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High End Video Editing/Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timichio, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timichio

Timichio Thread Starter

I've been checking out a number of websites to find a new PC primarily for video editing and audio mixing/recording. I also want to get back into gaming as well. I found these two PC's supplied by Alienware and Mesh and was wondering which one would perform best, as a happy medium, for this purpose.

I understand that a 64-bit processor will make a difference once 64-bit programming becomes popular, but at this present time will it have much effect on the processing speed compared to a similar 32-bit processor?

Also, will the dual core AMD be able to use both cores simultaneously for one game?

Here are the two PCs:

Alienware

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 650 w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 2MB Cache
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 GT PCX 256MB DDR3
    250 GB Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA 7,200 rpm w/ 8MB Cache

Mesh

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core
    2GB PC3200 DDR Memory 400MHz
    2x 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6800 LE - PCI Express - SLI configuration
    300GB Serial ATA (150MB/s)

Is the Mesh PC going to perform just like a 2.1Ghz processor for general applications, or will it feel like having two of the processors?

Thanks for your help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well thats a hard comparison. The P4 system has better hardware; faster RAM and a better video card. Being an Alienware system it would also use high quality components in terms of the power supply and motherboard.

On the otherhand AMD's dual core 64 bit chips are much better then Intel's offerings.

3. Timichio

Timichio Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! My most likely choice would be the Alienware system, but I was just wondering how most of today's applications deal with dual cores at the moment.

Say I wanted to encode some video using DivX, would one processor do the job, leaving the other to be used for another application, or can they both be used? Does that same go for all games?

You mentioned that AMD's dual core chips are much better than Intel's. I heard somewhere that 64-bit doesn't currently make much of a difference though with 32-bit applications. Is that correct?

Just one other thing, say I decided to buy the Alienware system, do you think it would perform well as a gaming/video editing PC?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Dual core and 64 bit are two seperate things. AMD's chips are better at both. And while the advantage of 64 bit won't be fully realised until all software is designed to use it, the AMD 64 bit processors are significantly superior to the 32 bit AMD's processors. Not only that but their HyperTransport bus, large cache sizes, and core designs give then a good edge performance wise against other processors. Windows XP 64 bit is just around the corner, any new versions of Windows like Longhorn will support it, and many Linux distrubutions do or will support 64 bit architecture.

And this may answer some of your questions: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/46147/46147.html

5. Timichio

Timichio Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! The site answered lots of my questions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice