1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High (idle) CPU usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kevgro, Mar 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevgro

kevgro Thread Starter

Hi

I have an issue with my CPU where CPU1 will stay at 60-100 % work rate when idle, and CPU2 is staying at around 20-60%. The rest are staying low at around 0-10% with a few minor spikes here and there.

I have unparked all my cores to try and get the latter ones to take some of the work away from number 1 and 2, but it doesn't seem to help much. I'm wondering what could be causing this. Im gonna give you a picture showing how this doesnt add up from my point of view, and i'll write my specs down.

Fyi my main problem is when i try to run games like Arma 3 (which has pretty horrible single threaded CPU usage as i understand it) and it doesnt have any juice to work with as it's only using my already overworked CPU1 and maybe a bit of CPU2.

Another odd thing to note is that the game runs smooth sometimes, and other times the FPS is so low when i enter the game and throughout the game that it's basically unplayable.

Specs:
    - Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @3.40GHz
    - 16 GB ram, 1600mhz
    - 2x AMD Radeon HD 6900 crossfired
    - 800W Cooler Master silent pro gold
    64 bit windows

Attached Files:

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

First....I see you are using MSI afterburner, turn that off and see what happens. Next...I see you have and AMD 6900 series GPU and you're running the Crimson driver package for it (is that the BETA driver)....not possible as those 4xxx, 5xxx and 6xxx series GPU have been labeled as Legacy cards and no further support is available and the last known driver for them is the 15.7.1 package. That might be your issue right there.

I'd start off with turning off AfterBurner and then installing the correct GPU driver and then check your results.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows 10 - 64

3. kevgro

kevgro Thread Starter

Seems like i trusted the automatic driver download a bit too much, because that was the problem! Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

NP...glad to help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice