1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

high memory usage on idle

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wiccandivinity, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiccandivinity

wiccandivinity Thread Starter

my computer uses 29 percent on idle my phsical memory is at i have a 32 bit
    system 3GB RAM and 5 GB page file but why is the usage so high
    and it climb to 35 percent if i have it on for a couple of hours
    but it used to stay at 17 percent on idle i use cleanmem
    they all start when i changed my account to a different one i delete the my previous account
    all i want is to get the memory usage down to normal

2. Sponsor

3. tarekch

tarekch

this is the normal usage, 29% of 3GB is nothing. thats the load of WIN7 and the components that start with it... everything you open or close will use memory, even when you close it some residual usage will remain which explains the increasing in mem usage after usage for a couple of hours, of course there is a limit where the processor will start working to clean the residual losses. you pc is perfectly fine in my opinion and probably when you changed your account some new services or programs where added to the startup that increased it from 17 to 29.
    I use 53% of my 3GB RAM on WIN7 and never had problems with it cuz i super load it with hundreds of programs and services.

4. wiccandivinity

yes but i check the start up and nothing extra is running and also the number of processes it tells
    me is 30 processes in task manger so how can i get it back to 17 percent

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

As stated your memory usage is fine
    What happens is the apps that you use regularly get partially loaded into memory.
    Windows writes a small file to keep track of the apps you are using..it determines that certain apps are frequently used..these apps are then partially loaded into memory for faster launching.
    It is the same approach that vista uses,,but not as aggressive.

What you are experiencing is the same thing that happens on xp..you open and app..later close it..all of the memory associated isnt released..this makes for a faster launch during the current session.

Eventually we had to reboot the machine if we didnt have alot of ram to spare..upon a reboot..memory usage was back down again.

Your machine is fine and you have normal behavior...at the moment I am using 52 percent on 7
    Upon a fresh reboot and waiting several minutes my ram usage will be in the 20s.

6. wiccandivinity

is there anyway to keep it down

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice