1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High Memory Usage, with 0 CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheDhimself, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheDhimself

TheDhimself Thread Starter

I have been having a problem for a long time with my memory being high on start up, and over a few hours going up to 95%. Here are some screen shots, in the 1st one i have some Free memory but in the second it has gone down to 0

I have done many virus scans and never found anything. Im also using windows 7 and have 4 Gig of ram

Please help!

Attached Files:

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there is you open task manager and then click on the "Processes" tab it comes up with a list of all the things running on the computer. Click on the Memory header at the top of one of the colums to bring the highest RAM using programs to the top and then take a print screen of that and upload it as an attachment here. I will then have a look at what is hogging up all 4Gb of your RAM :)

Jack-O-Bytes

3. TheDhimself

Thanks for the help, I have also run my computer in safe mode and almost the same amount of memory was being used.

the memory does not go up and down but stays at the same level (but then jumps up every so often)

Attached Files:

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, That was taken when there wasn't 100% memory usage. If you can take a screen shot once it is at 100% usage. Just catch it next time it goes really high.

Jack-O-Bytes

5. TheDhimself

Thats the thing, it says 0 Free but has nothing on the list with high memory usage, very confusing. Somone said it could be a "Rootkit" but ive done scans and nothing has been found.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Try clicking on the "Show processes from all users" button that is at the bottom of that window then see if any other stuff pops up.

Jack-O-Bytes

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have perfectly fine and normal usage. Free memory is memory thats not being used at all, its wasted memory. The key amount is the the "Available Memory", thats what is available to the system or programs when its needed by them, otherwise its used as 'cache' and by such features as Superfetch in order to speed up the system.

Anyway's here's some articles to read:
    http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/behind-the-windows-7-memory-usage-scaremongering.ars
    http://brandonlive.com/2010/02/21/measuring-memory-usage-in-windows-7/

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

So what is the point in having the free memory thing in task manager then does anyone actually use it?

Jack-O-Bytes

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its just there to show how much unused memory is in the system.

10. TheDhimself

Hi Sorry for the late responce i wiped my computer thinking it was a virus but i still have it...

hope its not a hardware problem as i cant afford new motherboard or ram

Attached Files:

11. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Wow it does seem to be using a lot of Physical memory still. It is filling almost all but 400Mb of it :S I am not sure what is taking up all that space.

Jack-O-Bytes

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt faulty RAM or a faulty motherboard would account for high memory usage. Its likely software or a driver thats the culprit.

Have you tried uninstalling AVG and using a different antivirus program, Microsoft Security Essentials is a lot more light weight then the now bloated AVG. Even as a test I'd remove it, you can always put it back later if you want.

How many Chrome processes are listed in Task Manager? How much do they all add up too?

13. TheDhimself

There are as many chrome processes as i have windows open. if i close them my memory usage goes down as required, but overall the memory usage is way more than the memory being used in the processes tab.

14. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Click on the show processes from all users button and see if that uncoveres any hidden processes.

Jack-O-Bytes

15. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I see in the original post a lot of "Hard Faults/sec" are shown in the screenshot. (This shows zero on my computer). O am not an expert in this area but my understanding is that it has something to do with excessive page file usage on the hard drive. Its not supposed to be an error, but can slow your computer.

In Resource Monitor under Processes, right click someplace on the top line under it (where it shows "Image"), and click "Select columns". Put a check in the box for "Hard faults/sec" then click OK. Do you see some processes showing a large number of Hard Faults/sec?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice