1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High Ping and Poor Download Speed on Computer but not Phone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TIGERHULL, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TIGERHULL

TIGERHULL Thread Starter

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out. I use Virgin Media in London as my ISP and the past week the internet has been running really slowly on my computer, which is not ideal as I play online games.

My ping has been around 150ms most of the time and it's normally below 30ms but a few times a minute it's spiking up to 10000 and frequently disconnecting and reconnecting.

I ran a speed test through Ookla today on my computer and the ping was 146ms, the download speed was 2.3 Mbps (I pay for 100 Mbps). When I ran the exact same test on my phone straight after my ping was 17ms and my download speed 60.49Mbps, so I'm starting to think the problem might be with my computer. In both cases the upload speed was around 5Mbps.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what the problem might be? I'd be really grateful, thanks a lot!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is your computer(which you didn't describe) using an ethernet or wireless connection?
    Is it running Windows XP or Vista or 7 or 8.1 or 10, 32-bit or 64-bit?

Go into the Device Manager and expand the Network Adapters heading.
    What's the exact names of the devices listed there?
    Open the properties window for those devices and then select the "Driver" tab.
    What's the exact driver version listed there?

Virgin Media help and support site
    (I couldn't find it locally in London)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. TIGERHULL

TIGERHULL Thread Starter

I'm using a wireless connection and I'm running Windows 10 64-bit.

Under the Network Adapters heading I have:

Ralink RT61 Turbo Wirless LAN Card - Version: 3.0.9.1
    Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller - Version: 9.1.404.2015
    WAN Miniport (IKEv2) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (IP) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (IPv6) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (L2TP) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (PPTP) - Version: 10.0.14393.0
    WAN Miniport (SSTP) - Version: 10.0.14393.0

thanks again

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    as this is a holiday period, i suspect it maybe a lot of users on the cable in your area
    However, based on your post, you should be at a much higher speed

can you connect the PC to the router by cable ? and see what performance you get, just to eliminate wireless

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC
    You will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file to the faulty PC and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
    If you do not have another PC
    Do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply​

http://go.pardot.com/l/66982/2015-01-26/2361i - Version 1
    https://www.xirrus.com/inspector/ Version 2
    enter you details
    This will Download the file " WiFiInspector-Setup-......."
    ( the site now appears to allow webbased emails like gmail, hotmail, outlook and yahoo to be used )

Alternative links - Use the links below
    Do NOT use any of the download managers offered - Cnet , just use the direct link below - and click on the download button
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-Monitoring/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector.shtml
    http://download.cnet.com/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector/3000-18508_4-75758254.html

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    Also available from Microsoft downloads here https://www.microsoft.com/net/download
    Stand alone version of.net framework https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available under the HELP menu option

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    From the Version 1 user guide
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

From the Version 2 Guide
    You will typically want at least one Wi-Fi network (SSID) in the 5GHz frequency or one in 2.4GHz at levels of -65dBm or higher in all areas where Wi-Fi is supported.

How to provide Screen Shot
    To post a screen shot of the active window.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8 & 10
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool
    (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, or windows 10 Search, type "snip" and press enter)
    (From windows 10 - All Apps>Windows Accessories>Snipping Tool
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, bottom right of your post are some buttons ("Upload File" button) and then select the file you want to upload, click on "Open", and the file will be attached to the post.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Realtek just recently posted a more current driver for the Realtek gigabit devices for Windows 10.
    Go HERE and then click the top-most "Global" link to download and save it.
    It's in .zip format, so you need to download and save it inside an empty folder and then extract its contents inside that same folder.
    Double-clicking the "setup.exe" file will start the update process.
    If all goes well, version 9.1.404.2015 will update to version 10.12.1007.2016.
    Updating the driver may improve connectivity and throughput.

MediaTek is the company that supports Ralink wireless devices.
    I believe the Ralink RT61 wireless card has a Ralink RT2561 or RT2661 chip, but I'm not positive.
    The Microsoft Update Catalog site doesn't have a Windows 10 driver listed for the Ralink RT61, but it does list version 3.0.9.1(which you already have) for "Windows 8.1 and later".

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Wayne has jumped in and is one of the networking experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. TIGERHULL

TIGERHULL Thread Starter

Hi I've managed to instal the Wi-fi inspector on the faulty computer, it's still running the internet but it's just extremely slow and I think I've taken the required screenshots. I also took one after running the connection test. My SSID is VM 922169-2G. Sorry I seem to have repeat posted some screenshots. I couldn't use an ethernet cable but one of the people I live with is using one. His internet seems much better although he's still getting ping spikes, but his download is nearer 50Mbps as opposed to mine which is around 2MBps. I also installed the driver that Frank recommened. Thanks again!

Capture 2.JPG Capture 3.JPG Capture.JPG Capture 2.JPG Capture 3.JPG Capture.JPG Capture 2.JPG

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Lets try a power cycle

How to Power Cycle

“Power Cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off / Shut down all the devices Modem, Router, Computers, Phones Tablets and any game centers using the internet connection. Also unplug devices that have power cables.
    • Now Wait for at least 15 minutes.
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch any device on.
    • First turn on your Modem (or Modem/Router combination unit) and then wait for a few minutes and allow the modem to connect to your Internet Service - allow all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on your Router (if its a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes and allow the Router lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer and other devices one by one.
    • Test each device connects to and has access to the Internet.

9. TIGERHULL

TIGERHULL Thread Starter

I've done the power cycle and can confirm that all of the devices successfully reconnected to the internet.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    and when you connected just to the wireless with NO other devices connected, what was the performance like ?

11. TIGERHULL

TIGERHULL Thread Starter

It was exactly the same unfortunately.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    A quick review
    You have updated the driver on the PC
    You have powercycled

Are the above correct ?

You are only connected by wireless
    Anyone else using wireless ?
    Can you borrow the cable and try connection by cable and see what speed you get via lan - speedtest.net post result
    Can you also do a speedtest.net on wireless post result
    Can you move closer to the router - around 3-4ft away and run xirrus , post a screen shot , and a speed test again post result
    MAKE SURE we know what posts refer to what results - so we are not confused at all

Your phone maybe using the 5G wireless connection , Virgin will have a Wireless name of 2G and 5G at the end.
    The PC does not support that 5G signal - but the phone may

Lets try the following

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver

Goto the Device Manager ( http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm ) > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice