1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High Ping while gaming when others use internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Deithor, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deithor

Deithor Thread Starter

Hi there. I'm a gamer, and as you know I need consistent and reliable internet. I play League of Legends currently.
    The problem I'm having is that whenever someone else in the house browses the internet, downloads something, or especially when they watch Youtube or any other kind of videos, I get EXTREME unplayable lag. My ping can shoot up to and higher than 1000 ms!
    I have my modem right beside me, and I am the only one connected to it VIA an Ethernet cable.

I was wondering if there's any way for me to limit the amount of bandwidth (if that's the correct term) that other devices in the house can receive, as to prevent other devices from stealing all of my internet strength. It almost seems like my desktop is the lowest priority for receiving signal strength, yet I am the only one connected to the modem VIA an Ethernet cable, everyone else is wireless.

I have access to the website that I can configure settings about my internet, devices and modem etc.

It looks like this (I scratched out the IPs and serial number of my modem): http://i.imgur.com/MKHVF.jpg

Is there any way I can limit other devices strengths?

2. Deithor

Deithor Thread Starter

Is there something I can do with regards to QoS? I don't really know what it is or even if I have the option to use it.
    Also, I live in Ontario, Canada and my ISP is Bell.

3. Deithor

Deithor Thread Starter

Anyone got anything?

4. Deithor

Deithor Thread Starter

wow deez forums suck :s

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice