1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

high pitch noise in my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guy2, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guy2

guy2 Thread Starter

I'm having this annoying noise that has just appeared suddenly, it's pretty new and iv never heard this before in this machine but iv heard noise like it from power supply's.

It sounds like a very high pitch electronic pulse very soft at times with no particular pattern and other times it starts exactly when i'm performing a task in my computer ,any task like moving to mouse or closing a window. ,

like something from a computer power supply when you short circuit or bunch up the wrong rails and it will make a high pitch FFFiiiiiisssss but not very loud.

I don't know what it is ,but id like some opinions on this suspicious noise before something fails.

2. AshleeD

AshleeD

I wouldn't use it anymore until you get a new cord. You could do damage to your laptop.

Buying a new cord can be expensive, if paying $50-100 for a new one from the manufacturer is not a problem for you do that.

I'm in a similar sitiuation. You can get them cheaply enough off ebay if you find the same model (should be on the label with the exact amps and voltage) but you need to make sure the connector is the same as they use them with different laptops. Here is the tricky part, you'll need to measure the length of the connector, the diameter of the connector hole and the width of the connector tube. All in millimeters. If the connector matches up you can save money that way.

3. guy2

guy2 Thread Starter

Well it so happens iv got lots of very accurate measuring tools around for metal working but i don't understand why i would need a new cord the sound is inside the computer.

Where did you get this information?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it could be quite a few things , Fan, PSU, Harddrive
    Try running just on battery , eliminate the charger circuity at least

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    AshleeD - did you mean to post here, your answer does not seem to match the question

6. AshleeD

AshleeD

When you said "Power supply" (which is the cord) I clearly misunderstood you guy2. Inside the computer is much worse :p.

7. guy2

guy2 Thread Starter

I meant to post here

It's not the corded block transformer power supply it's from the inside ,i know there is another power supply in there somewhere or it couldn't run off battery. I know the really old laptop computers had 1 main power supply's built in ,there was no block transformer but this does for cooling id imagine. I know it's not the fan or hard drive because i think iv got those sound down buy now but the next time i hear it i will see what happens when i disconnect the AC.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice