1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

high pitch squeal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim624, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Howdy group !!

Well, new problem.....turn the computer on this AM and I can hear a very faint high pitched squeal...not steady but it;s there most of the time. It almost sounds like it's feedback of some sort. It's so faint, I couldn't even tell if it was coming from my computer.....so I turned it off and the squeal went away....turned it back on and it's there again. It's not a steady tone, but it fluctuates up and down very gently. I don't think it's my hard drive....but It's really got me puzzled.

Any help would be appreciated.....

Jim

P.S. I don't think it's my internal modem speaker feeding back cuz I use an external DSL modem

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

sounds like some sort of electronic feedback. I had something similar coming from my monitor when I installed a new halogen lamp on the same circuit.

have you recently installed anything new on the same circuit or close by?

3. n2gun

n2gun

It may be a fan. Take the cover off and see if you can pinpoint it. Listen close to the fan on the cpu and then the one on the power supply.

Before that though if your monitor is real close to the computer, turn it off while you hear the sound. Monitors can also make a high pitched squeal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/104293