1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High pitched screech on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Twood, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Twood

Twood Thread Starter

This has been happening since I had to re install my operating system. The computer starts up and everything seems to be working just fine, other then the screech it makes when starting up. The one thing that hasn't been working since my re install are my speakers that came with my dell, but an older pair of speaker seem to work. Mabye this has something to do with it? I read beeping noises could be a loose connection or hardware but I checked all that.

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Try and find out where the noise is coming from, i have a sneaky suspicion that it will be coming from the CPU as i had similar problems last year - can you check your CPU fan to make sure it is spinning, this is often the root to a high pitched squeeling noise coming from the computer as the fan has an alarm on it that when not connected or working, it goes off.

3. Rrruff

Rrruff

What are you specs on your computers? Power supply? etc..

Here's a few options:

High-pitched beep might mean your Power Supply is going bad, from my experience.

Disconnected fans or something -- Check again and reassure everything is plugged in! :)

Might want to try some memory tests too to see if there are any issues with your memory sticks (though I suspect it's not that).

Also try a different monitor and monitor cable and see if that fixes your beep-sound (another unlikely scenario, but I've seen it happen before).

S'all I got for you right now - good luck.

4. Twood

Twood Thread Starter

It's a Dell Dimension 5100. P4 3.4, geforce 6800 256mb, 1 gig of ram. The power supply is what came with the dell (a 305w). I checked all the connections again, still can't find anything. I'll try the mem test.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Where's the noise coming from? The external speakers, the internal speaker, something else in the PC, or the monitor?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

If the screech goes away and it sounds like it does, then I would be the heat/synch fan is going. I would install Speedfan and watch the speed on the fans as well as temps in system.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

7. Twood

Twood Thread Starter

the noise comes from the external speakers

8. Twood

Twood Thread Starter

Alright I have speed fan. It says HD0: 50C with a picture of fire next to it... I'm guessing thats bad.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

For a Prescott cpu, that is a little high but not dangerous at all.

10. Twood

Twood Thread Starter

I might have found the problem. I had my old speakers connected to the sound card (a soundblaster live 24-bit). I put them in the onboard sound and no screech on startup. Could this be the problem?

11. Rrruff

Rrruff

Heh. Could be a problem. Guess we should have looked at the most basic problem before pointing out the most expensive!

This could be fixable - Have you tried out different drivers? I heard the 'newer' drivers are not always the best for the soundblaster's. Some people have problems with them, some don't. Try re-installing the entire soundcard, updating it and then reboot. So how that goes.

If it doesn't work, let us know. Also, if you've a spare computer that works, try putting your soundblaster into it and see how it goes.

I wouldn't throw it away if it's only the screech; however, there has been similar problems like this and solved by re-installing the entire card or just buying a new one. Heh.

I'll take a bit more time to look into it; on vacation at the moment :)

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Possibly moving the Soundblaster to another slot would cure the problem. Otherwise it is the problem.

13. Twood

Twood Thread Starter

Busy downloading something right now, but after I'll try moving the card. I've downloaded drivers for it since I had to reinstall everything on my comp which is where all this started.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice