1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High RAM and disc usage, low performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by Marinkjo, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marinkjo

Marinkjo Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have some problems with my relatively new dell laptop (4 months old, and the problems are present for like 3 months), which include: Very high RAM usage: 80% when only Microsoft Edge is turned on.
    Very high Disc usage: 100% almost at all times
    Low performance in games (the laptop meets the req. for a game, still cant handle it; low fps, stuttering, freezing.
    Can't handle videos sometimes: the sound works but video is frozen, or video Works and sound freezes.
    Sometimes VERY S L O W: sometimes when i open an app, it turns on after a minute; when i type, the letters appear after a while.

I have already reset it to factory settings and wiped the HDD, didn't help. I have a lot of free space on HDD, no dust in the laptop, no physical damage, no viruses, no (useless) background proceses.

I have already had a call with a dell technician (he did some changes and driver updates), also didn't help.

Do you think a RAM upgrade would solve this? Or do i have to take it to service? Or anything else? Please help.

Thanks for answer in advance. (and sorry for my weak english)

Regards,
    Martin

Specs:
    Dell Inspiron 5558
    Windows 10 64-bit
    4GB DDR3
    1TB HDD
    Nvidia GeForce 920M
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz
    has a webcam

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop supports up to 16 GB of DDR3 RAM.
    Yours has only 4 GB.
    Add another 4 GB and run it with 8 GB.
    Adding more RAM is one of the best and most cost-effective ways to improve speed and performance.

That laptop has a decent Intel Core i3 processor for normal use, but not for gaming.
    It's too bad it didn't come with a faster Core i5 or Core i7 model.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. Marinkjo

Marinkjo Thread Starter

Are you sure it will solve those problems? Won't it end my warranty? What about the disc? thanks.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you read ALL of my last reply?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Marinkjo

Marinkjo Thread Starter

Yes i think i did.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your laptop doesn't have enough RAM or a fast enough processor to provide you with a quality gaming experience.
    Your laptop isn't designed for and doesn't have the "horsepower" for the demands of gaming.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Marinkjo

Marinkjo Thread Starter

Okay thank you very much. But will upgrading my RAM void my warranty?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It may or may not help with your gaming experience, but your laptop could still use another 4 GB of RAM.

I'm not sure if adding more RAM will void its warranty.
    You can find out by calling Dell customer service and support.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. LIS333

LIS333

I would also check the Task Manager Startup tab and look at what's running. I disable things that don't need to run at startup like iTunes, Adobe Reader etc. This doesn't uninstall anything as it will run when you launch the program, but if it's running In the background when you aren't using it, it's a drag on the system. Don't disable anything you're not sure is necessary to run the computer though. Also, check your start button - programs - Startup folder and drag shortcuts out of it and into your regular programs menu for whatever doesn't need to run at startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tom020788

tom020788

Nobody has really addressed why this person's HDD/Disk usage is always at 100%. This is not normal at all.
    The OP seems to have already looked at the task manager, as they wouldn't know the performance/usage details without having been there.

OP, could you please post a screenshot of the "performance" tab after having it open for a while, so we can see if the usage is spiking at all, or if it is really constant?
    Also, please post a screenshot of the "task manager" tab, and make sure you have clicked "more details" to expand the list of processes running.

The HDD running at %100 usage all the time is abnormal, and getting more ram may not fix this, but it also may... you see, if RAM is all being used up, the pc uses virtual memory stored on the HDD, so if your RAM is being pushed to the max for some reason (it still shouldnt be doing this all the time), the HDD usage may also go up.

Lastly, in regards to your warranty, I can almost guarantee you that if you install a ram chip yourself, you are going to have an issue with your warranty if you damage your PC and it is because you installed it incorrectly.
    You will need a professional computer technician from your local PC store to install a RAM chip if you want to be absolutely sure, and if you are not very experienced installing hardware, I'd highly recommend it, because you could damage your computer otherwise.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    We don't know what's installed in that laptop and how many running processes it has, so that could explain why the disc and memory usage is high.

He hasn't replied back in 10 days, so he may no longer be monitoring this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice