High ram usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zandoor

First off i want too think anyone reading this.

I have a problem with laptop using a high amount of ram and it sometimes results in applications being slow, games not running properly and other problems.
I have 8GB ram(1x8) in my laptop.
Task manager says that its using 70% of my ram while only having chrome, spotify and discord open.
I already tried changing some things in the register but they didn't seem too change anything.

Hope someone can help me!

Attachments

peterh40

Peter
Use Task manager or Resource Monitor to see what programs are using up the memory.

run task manager as Administrator, then sort "Processes" tab according to memory usage, take a screenshot and post it here.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Zandoor:

Besides the fact your laptop has 8 GB of RAM and is running Windows 10, we need more information, so please do the following in it:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your laptop will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------

Zandoor

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20200220041855.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (13 GB Free); D: 931 GB (306 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0R32862 WIN, s/n prefer to not share serial number
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF1DYUHA
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

Your Lenovo laptop has an impressive performing processor and graphics device, but they're handicapped by having only 8 GB of RAM.
You should add another 8 GB and run it with 16 GB.

Its 237 GB capacity C: drive is almost completely full, so I'm guessing it's full of installed apps.
That equates to a lot of running processes - which is evident in your image.

-------------------------------------------------

Zandoor

I closed down every program running and my laptop was still using 50%.
Guess i need too get more ram then

I see you run 3rd party anti malware programs, make sure:

1. you run only one AV
2. know that anti malware programs do consume a lot of memory for their tasks
3. If you use virtualization bases security feature in Windows defender this consumes a lot of memory,
usually when browsing or having multiple virtual browser sessions
4. if you play game, close down all other programs for best performance.
5. reduce number of bloatware and running programs (your scrnshot shows you have bloatware)

What is bloatware?

The term "bloatware" may be applied to software that has become bloated through inefficiency or accretion of features as outlined above.[3] The term also commonly refers to software preinstalled on a device, usually by the hardware manufacturer, that is mostly unwanted by the purchaser.

The term may also be applied to the accumulation of unwanted and unused software elements that remain after partial and incomplete uninstallation. These elements may include whole programs, libraries, associated configuration information, or other data. Performance may deteriorate overall as a result of such leavings, as the unwanted software or software components can occupy memory, waste processing time, add disk I/O, consume storage and cause delays at system startup and shutdown. In the worst cases, the leftover software may interfere with the correct operation of wanted software.[5] Bloatware can be easily removed if the user has root access on his or her smartphone, though the rooting process has its own advantages and disadvantages[6], such as voiding the manufacturer's warranty, and that certain software refuses to run on rooted devices
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat#Bloatware

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows 10 comes with a lot of useless and unneeded apps.
If you go into Settings - Apps and browse through the list, you will likely see several of them that you choose to uninstall.

------------------------------------------------

You may want to check your virtual memory settings to let system better manage available physical memory.

To see how much virtual memory you have:

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
2. copy bellow code and right click into console to paste then press enter:
systeminfo | find "Virtual Memory"

Share your output.

Zandoor

You may want to check your virtual memory settings to let system better manage available physical memory.

To see how much virtual memory you have:

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
2. copy bellow code and right click into console to paste then press enter:
systeminfo | find "Virtual Memory"

Share your output.
PS C:\Users\sando> systeminfo | find "Virtual Memory"
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 18.823 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 9.395 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 9.428 MB

looks good, Frank gave you advice how to deal with programs that are likely not needed and likely consume memory for no good reason.

You have all the info needed to deal with bloat and security settings that may consume additional memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online